Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise! Crank Pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise! Crank Pulley?

Ive got an awful metal on metal type squeaking sound going on that speeds up as i increase rpms. I took the fan belt off and started it to make sure it wasnt the alternator. This is not the normal cold ticking alot of LS1 owners hear, as i Had that on and off since it was new. Its a 2000 Ls1 Camaro Z28, stock internals, just lid and random tech cats/ypipe/exhaust. I took the EGR valve off and plugged hole to see if that was the culprit, and it continued. When i look down at the crank pulley it seems to be vibrating alot more than the engine block, like wobbling. Has anyone had this go? Is it a bearing/new pulley that can be replaced without going internal? It really sounds like this is the issue, as the engine is running fine and no check engine lights are on. Anyone think it could be something else? When I listen above the sound kind of echos throughout bay, but when im under car down where the pulley is its a bit louder.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Launching!

umm. fan belt? if you are working on a ls1 they have electric fans, no belts. but as for your problem i have heard water pumps make those types of noises. but if you took of the main belt and it still did it then that would be out. if the crank pulley is vibrating a noticable amount (much AT ALL) then i would say you found your problem!
Old 06-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Bout to go check it out, do these have a bearing in them or does it just bolt onto crank snout? yeah i know theres no mech fan i guess i should say accessory belt I know more about big blocks, Has anyone else had the issue? IF its not lose but i can be sure thats the source, what do i replace to shut it up? Thanks guys!
Old 06-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Launching!

its not the crank pulley, its louder under the oil pan, sounds internal, really worried, if something major happened would it not set of service engine light?
Old 08-30-2014, 10:00 PM
Teching In

I have a similar issue with my 2000 Trans Am LS1 all stock. Recently changed out cam shaft position sensor, did oil and filter change. Car sounded fine for a few days. It makes a squeaking like tick pattern noise that only speeds up when opening the throttle. I took belts off, ran engine. Still making noise. I even replaced the belts. If you found a fix can you please post it? I know your post was from a long time ago lol
Old 08-30-2014, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

holy ****,this is over 7 years old.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
holy ****,this is over 7 years old.
Haha yeah. havent had this issue with my other TA/LS1
Old 08-31-2014, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothin like a good ole' 7-year thread revival.

Take your oil cap off and make sure the squeal isn't coming from there. A few guys have had issues with the vacuum caused by the PCV sucking air past the oil filler and making a noise that changes with RPM.

(check for vacuum leaks also)

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Engine noise! Crank Pulley?