Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam, compression & intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam numbers, intake and heads.

OK, so Ive read A LOT, and searched all over the site, great stuff!

I have a '00 LS1 that im swapping into a '02 Jeep TJ Wrangler. The motor has been completely pulled apart and is being rebuilt. I want to make a VERY reliable motor, with good manners and some decent power. I'm not wanting to give up low end grunt for high speed 1/4 mile runs, as that is not what this rig is being built for.

Off road crawling, and some decent high speed desert running, while maintaining good street driveability. Power needs to be RIGHT off idle and continue through the power range. The high speed stuff wont really be faster than 60-70 through the desert and whoops, although I do plan on driving it down the highway too.

I've decided on a cam and some head work to the stock heads.Now I dont know too much about this stuff, so I talked with a few guys that do, and that's all they do is work with motors and mainly LS motors.

Now I dont know all these numbers, these are just some that I wrote down when i was talking to Brian from Comp Cams. He'll be calling me back in the AM to explain some more things to me about this stuff, and answer as many of my questions that he can before he has to go home at night! hahaha

Cam-
220 intake
222 exhaust
581 lift
112 lob separation (?)

Lifters, Pro Magnum rockers, pushrods, timing set and springs. All very nice Comp Cam stuff.

Head-
Milling it to 10.80 - 11.1 compression

Intake & TB-
Probably FAST 78MM. Talked with him about the 90/90 and he said he would stick with the 78 for more performance down low and throughout the power curve. I could go with the 90 but would sacrafice some low end for it.
Or, possibly going with the LS6 intake and TB.

I'll be doing a sort of CAI, and will be looking into headers after we get the motor mocked up in the jeep, for fitting. I'd hate to buy a set of headers and then have to just cut them up cause they wont fit in my application.

The motor will be running into a BUILT 700R4 trans, with custom lock-up TQ converter, specifially built for this motor set up.

I'll also being putting in a Aeromotive 700 hp EFI fuel pump. Part #AEI-11106. The whole new Howell computer will be running things and has been modded quite a bit to the specs of how the motor will be, then of course a tune after everything is intsalled.

I have researched and read throughout Ls1tech and have read a few other things that I think I might benefit from.

Underdrive ALT & crank pullies, dremmel the TB stop to allow it to open to 90*, 160* T-stat, MSD LS1/LS6 Blaster Coil Packs, etc...

I just wanted to get some input from you guys as to what else, that wont break the bank, of even cheap or free stuff, that I could do to help squeeze out a few more ponies. Fuel rails?

Last edited by V8TJ; 06-26-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:17 AM
On The Tree

Come on...17 views and nothing?? Should this be moved to another forum?

At least I read the "so you want to be fast" thread, and did a little homework...help a brotha out.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Let's see if anyone wants to throw out any info they might know today...
Old 06-26-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would go with ls6 intake the fast will loss 10 lb ft of tourqe down low they are set up more for peak hp the cam you have is the same as mine it and it peaked at 383 hp and 385 tq with no tune the guy who did it was/is a hack the tune will be more important than anything else it will make or break your combo you could probably port the throttle body as well if it is stock
Old 06-26-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would go with ls6 intake the fast will loss 10 lb ft of tourqe down low they are set up more for peak hp the cam you have is the same as mine it and it peaked at 383 hp and 385 tq with no tune the guy who did it was/is a hack the tune will be more important than anything else it will make or break your combo you could probably port the throttle body as well if it is stock i personally would not waste the money on the msd stuff you could use the stock coils or even go with the ls2 ones
Old 06-26-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

throttle body bypass removes the coolant lines from the lower throttle body they are there to keep it from freezing closed in the winter