Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie w/ 01 SS need advice on headers and y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie w/ 01 SS need advice on headers and y-pipe

purchased a 01 ss a couple months ago and im ready to mod up. The car came with SLP lid and i was told that was it. I have reason to think the car has a little more work in it some where cause of the 12.80 et i ran the first week i had it, on drag radials and a little bog when i dumped at 5500. Im not sure if those numbers are common w/ a m6 tranny and a lid. My new SLp LM cat back comes in today and I am trying to decide what header and y-pipe to go w/. Ceramic coated Pacesetter LT is what im leaning on (need input on those) and as of y pipe im stuck between off-road and street. I live in texas in a area w/ no emission testing so i thinking about offroad. I also need some input on the best way to dummy the O2 sensors and egr on this car...
Old 08-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Coated Pacesetter longtubes are what our local LS1 speed shop recommends for these cars (mine's a 2000 SS vert), along w/ a cam.
Can't speak to the Y pipe but if you can sneak by without cats, why not.

I just put the SLP Loudmouth II catback on my car and love the sound - doubt it did much for power though. The Pacesetters will hopefully be my next mod.

Good luck.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah if you don't need cats why waste the time putting them on. As for the simulators. You can just find someone locally that has tuning software and they can turn egr and the cat codes off. Check for some local speed shops.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Yeah, living out in the sticks has its advantages, but with advantages you have disadvantages, like the lack of comp street cars roming the area. I do come accross a good number of svt cobra's and boy do they hate loosing to naturally aspirated cars. Damn near stock at that, up til last night i was raping there a$$ with stock exhaust. i think i seen a few of them cry. it took me about hour and 1/2 from start to finish w/ putting on the SLP LM 1 last night. Sounds great, but im not sure what gains i got out of it. Kinda felt like it fail on its face a little on second gear punch but i did have traction control on (dumba$$) i was to busy sticking my head out the window listening to them bad boys rack off. As of headers an y-pipe i will probably go PS ceramic and OR y-pipe (thanks for opinions guys). I do need to hear about some cam and head options though. Is it best to match your cam with heads or can i do cam and then heads later. What cam do you guys suggest, im looking for a middle of the road cam, not to radical but worth taking the time and money to put in. I love a motor that cuts up... thanks guys...
Old 08-05-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car will be painfully loud with a loud mouth and no cats. I'd try to listen to a car with that set up in person before doing it. I could not get over how loud it is, I don't like the way it sounds either. The loudmouth with cats isn't bad though. Just my $.02.