Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

complete newb here

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default complete newb here

just got my ls1 motor, so i felt the need to finally post in the newb section. i have an insane amount to learn so i'll do my best to search the forums before i bombard you guys with questions.

just wanted to introduce myself.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bomb away . If this sight was a nation it would be a waste land with some of the question bombs I have dropped. welcome.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

lol i dunno i got some pretty dumb q's to ask. i don't want to annoy anyone, but a lot of times when i try doing a search here, i get a server error message, so i'm tempted to just start asking. anyone else getting server error messages?

here's a q....when you see gauges on these fourth gen ls1 f-bodies like this: http://images.gmhightechperformance....s+interior.jpg how do the custom gauges hook up to the wiring harness? do you have to cut and solder the wires coming from the wiring harness to the wires coming from the gauges?

i plan on getting the painless wiring system and i see how the wires go from the pcm to the sensors on the engine, but how it connects to gauges that aren't stock i have no clue.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

You know what, screw it. I'll ask away and if anyone wants to answer that would be cooler than the other side of the pillow. Be warned though, some of these will sound totally dumb...

How do you drain the transmission fluid?

How does the wiring harness connect to gauges (see above)?

Does the wiring harness connect to the vss?

With the SLP Loudmouth exhaust, are there two types? What are the differences in sound and performance if there are?

When you buy headers, are they direct boltons to the exhaust system?

Is an aftermarket exhaust system like the Loudmouth or Corsa direct bolt-on, or do you have to fabricate or cut any metal?

If I buy an aftermarket exhaust system and some headers, do i have to buy a catalytic convertor?

what is an off road y-pipe? how is this different to a normal y-pipe?

What length fuel line do I need to get for the LS1? What diameter?

When buying a rearend, and they ask you how many splines you want, what's the difference between 28, 30, 31, etc (what do those numbers refer to)?

Whew. That's all for now. Thanks to anyone who shares his/her answers!

Last edited by demonpixel; 08-03-2007 at 08:35 PM. Reason: one more q lol
Old 08-03-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

an off road y pipe (ORY) doesnt have cats... with headers...i believe you have to get a y pipe with or without cats...your choice... but if you get one without cats, you either need to get the rear O2 sensors tuned out of the system ot get O2 simulators...thats all i know on the ?'s

p.s. if you buy stuff...it whould be smart to check out the sponsors if you are not going through a LOCAL shop
Old 08-04-2007, 02:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by demonpixel

How does the wiring harness connect to gauges (see above)?

Does the wiring harness connect to the vss?

With the SLP Loudmouth exhaust, are there two types? What are the differences in sound and performance if there are?

Is an aftermarket exhaust system like the Loudmouth or Corsa direct bolt-on, or do you have to fabricate or cut any metal?

If I buy an aftermarket exhaust system and some headers, do i have to buy a catalytic convertor?

What length fuel line do I need to get for the LS1? What diameter?

When buying a rearend, and they ask you how many splines you want, what's the difference between 28, 30, 31, etc (what do those numbers refer to)?

Whew. That's all for now. Thanks to anyone who shares his/her answers!
Drop the Pan.

In 1999 and up Cars..the Gauges are actually controlled by a Computer, called the BCM(Body Control Module), that is fed by the PCM(Powertrain Control Module) by 1 Serial Dada Wire..nothing to really tweak with this..

The Engine Wiring Harness connects to the VSS.

Slp Loudmouth is it's own thing.

Headers are direct Boltons..more than likely you will have to get a different Y-pipe.

Most of your Cat-Back Exhaust Systems are as they say, Cat-Back.

Why do you ask about Fuel lines..

Axle Splines are the number of Splines on the Axle Shaft goin into the Carrier. The bigger the number usually means a stronger setup.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:44 AM
TECH Resident

merv, you totally rule. thanks for all the answers. gives rise to a few more q's. lol

i'm wondering about the fuel lines because i'm switching out the v6 in my pos for the ls1. i know i'll have to switch out just about everything. i'm doubting that the v6 fuel lines are big enough. can i use them?

come to think of it, can i use other parts from the v6 also....like the a/c system or the shifter?
Old 08-04-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Transmission - never drained it before but get under the car and there should be about a 15mm bolt somewhere coming right of the tranny (see it when i change the oil, oil is 15mm so i assume the same for tranny, don't quote me thou) but can't give you an exact location.

Headers - direct bolt on. Gotta get some new gaskets and bolts (unless you feel safe enough w/ the factory ones, i didn't). LS1HowTo has got a nice write up on them here ---- http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=29 (it's on a C5 so beware, still an LSx motor thou, shouldn't be too different).

Exhaust - SLP Loudmouth has a custom setup assuming you go w/ the entire system. If you just go w/ the bullet style muffler you'll probably need to get a shop to weld on the Y/X/H whatever pipe to it (and your I-pipe if using a Y pipe). Headers usually clamp on to the rest of your piping (but heating is required, still recommend shop). I'm only familiar w/ LT Pacesetters to 3" Y w/ dual cutouts to I-pipe to Slowmaster (aka Flowmaster) 80 series muffler (my setup for now).

Catalytic Converter - buy it only if emissions is a big deal where you are. I live in Memphis and they really don't care about emissions all that much. I got pulled over open headers and the cop didn't say anything about the noise or smell (i was goin' 21 over).

Offroad Y-pipe - aka ORY. Used to signify that it DOES NOT use catalytic converters, thus you'll see tags on websites near their product that say "Offroad Only".

Hope this helps, couldn't answer the other ones cause i'm not as familiar w/ them. Have fun w/ a sweet car
Old 08-04-2007, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vrbas
Transmission - never drained it before but get under the car and there should be about a 15mm bolt somewhere coming right of the tranny (see it when i change the oil, oil is 15mm so i assume the same for tranny, don't quote me thou) but can't give you an exact location.
He didn't specify A4 or M6, so we both could be right..
merv, you totally rule. thanks for all the answers. gives rise to a few more q's. lol

i'm wondering about the fuel lines because i'm switching out the v6 in my pos for the ls1. i know i'll have to switch out just about everything. i'm doubting that the v6 fuel lines are big enough. can i use them?

come to think of it, can i use other parts from the v6 also....like the a/c system or the shifter?
Is this car a Auto or 5spd..

I am not to familiar with the V6 Cars..I did a V8 to bigger V8 swap..
Old 08-04-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks, Vrbas. So from the engine, it goes headers>catalytic converters>y-pipe>exhaust>out the car? or headers>y-pipe>a catalytic converter>exhaust>out the car?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

merv, the v6 is automatic, and I thought about making the ls1 automatic too....but i'm having mixed feelings. manual just has a huge fun factor...

what do you guys think?
Old 08-04-2007, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Well I did a Engine Swap in my car..and judging by how much you know already, you will be in for a fun time..

I like my A4 in my Car, a Stalled Auto will wax a M6..and it's easier on the car.
Granted I would love to have a M6..but the A4 is a little cheaper too..
Old 08-04-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks, Vrbas. So from the engine, it goes headers>catalytic converters>y-pipe>exhaust>out the car? or headers>y-pipe>a catalytic converter>exhaust>out the car?
For a stock exhaust system, it goes headers - cat - Y - over the axle - muffler - exhaust tips.

For an aftermarket system (assuming you go w/ Long Tubes, catalytic converter, Muffler over the axle) it'll look similar to this....

http://www.mcjackscorvettes.com/images/DSC00049.jpg

Think this is off a corvette, not sure though. Anyways, from left to right it goes HEADERS (not shown but clamp on to the ends of the "Y") - to catalytic converters - to merge (where the 2 pipes meet) - then your "I" pipe (not shown, just the single pipe that the "Y" merges to that goes up over the axle to your muffler) - and finally your muffler.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the_merv
Well I did a Engine Swap in my car..and judging by how much you know already, you will be in for a fun time..

I like my A4 in my Car, a Stalled Auto will wax a M6..and it's easier on the car.
Granted I would love to have a M6..but the A4 is a little cheaper too..
Complete noob doing an engine swap? oh my...better start reading up my friend. Maybe merv will help you swap it out
Old 08-04-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for clearing that up, vrbas. yeah chavez, gotta start somwhere man. waiting on my manual to come in the mail so i can read even more.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

The swap I did you won't find in a Manual..
Old 08-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Good luck, I'll eventually be swapping an LS1 into my 95 V6. My swap is a long ways off though, I have to get the new motor for my Z28 put together and in the car first.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

what kind of swap did you do, merv?
Old 08-05-2007, 02:50 AM
11 Second Club

I had a LT1 in my 1995..now it's a 402ci LSX/L92 Stroker Engine..and all kinds of supporting mods..