Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z28 vs SS, my impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z28 vs SS, my impressions

A buddy of mine recently purchased a 2000 SS M6 with 13,000 miles on it. So far, he has a GMMG exhaust, FAST intake and 90mm throttle body, stock wheels and tires, and a B&M shifter.

My mods are in my sig (car has 55,000 miles). So, I helped him put the intake on this weekend and we went for a spin. His car pulls harder than mine in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. He is able to get the tires chirp from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th.

I can't imagine the SS hood would make it pull like that, or that his intake would make considerably more power than my LT's.

I do have 18" rims with BFG G-Force Sport 275/35/18's. I know they probably slow me down somewhat, but not as drastically as the power difference I felt.

My car has new spark plugs, all the fluids changed, and its running great. Maybe he has a factory freak, but I was quite impressed with it.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

his 90/90 is going to help him a lot. but im guessing the stock 275's are probably wore out or dry rotted a little due to the age. and you got really sticky street tires so thats another factor......
Old 08-05-2007, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The FAST 90/90 will barely do anything on a stock H/C car, maybe a few RWHP over the LS6 (not that he had one stock, but its obviously a common mod). You need a bigger H/C or cubes to get the most out of that intake, its a waste if not. Did you run him and he pulled you in each gear, or does it just feel like that? My buddies 02 SS w/longtubes and a lid feels stronger than my car when I'm in it, but I know for a fact I have about a second on his car in the quarter. His tires are probably just not as good as yours and breaking loose on the shift, yours are just stickin'. If you really want to measure it against the wheels, slap yours on his and see if the same thing happens.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

His car is SUCKING more air in than yours, letting more air out w/ his CB GMMG than your car and your LTs is only letting out as much air as your intake sucking in. So yeah, you'll feel more power in his car than yours. Z28=SS, stock for stock on power(same year, tranny).
Old 08-05-2007, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

just race him and find out.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

judging how fast a car is, by seeing what gears the car will chirp the tires is pointless. I can go put on some skinny kmart blue light special tires and get them to chirp 5th and 6th...does it make me faster.

*** dynos aren't accurate...go drag race both cars the same day...same track...that is a much better example of speed and power. The SS offers almost not advantages over the z28...mostly flash.

ps...

why do you have a slp maf..that is probably hurting you.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
judging how fast a car is, by seeing what gears the car will chirp the tires is pointless. I can go put on some skinny kmart blue light special tires and get them to chirp 5th and 6th...does it make me faster.

*** dynos aren't accurate...go drag race both cars the same day...same track...that is a much better example of speed and power. The SS offers almost not advantages over the z28...mostly flash.

ps...

why do you have a slp maf..that is probably hurting you.
I didn't put the SLP MAF on it, the previous owner did. The closest 1/4 mile track is 90 miles away, so its not a hop and skip down the street.

I know *** dynos are not the best judges, but when you can feel a difference in the pressure exhuded on your body during acceleration, that tells you something.

I'm not saying his car is drastically faster than mine, I was just impressed a relatively stock SS could pull like that. I tried telling him the Fast intake and TB wouldn't do much until he opened up the exhaust and motor, but he didn't listen lol.

Last edited by patricksd; 08-05-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bene
His car is SUCKING more air in than yours, letting more air out w/ his CB GMMG than your car and your LTs is only letting out as much air as your intake sucking in. So yeah, you'll feel more power in his car than yours. Z28=SS, stock for stock on power(same year, tranny).
Wouldn't his stock manifolds be a bottleneck in teh system? I'd have to imagine my lid, LT's and catback would flow better than a stock air box, Fast intake, stock manifolds, and catback. But I could be wrong.

**I have a Dynomax bullet catback, which isn't in my sig**
Old 08-06-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

a z28=ss for the most part...

chirp of tires don't mean squat...

let's put it in perspective... I spun 1st, part of 2nd, and chirped 3rd on 315 Nitto drag radials... only to pull... drumroll.... 13.1@108

not quite spectacular the track was crap and the nittos were <40%

if you didn't see the timer at the end, you would have loved my car and it's "power" lol

though on the same track when stock I was running 13.8 on average @ 104 so full bolt ons are worth some power.

I'd suggest making sure he runs those same tires when he squares off against you at the track. Traction wins races and it sounds like you got more of it than him with power close enough to each other to make it a driver's race.

stock manifolds will hurt compared to longtubes. An intake is worth less in hp/torque gain than headers. I have dyno sheets that show while I gained roughly 8hp and 10ft/lb of torque with the LS6 intake, my headers and full exhaust netted me 38hp and 34ft/lb of torque...
Old 08-06-2007, 12:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by patricksd
Wouldn't his stock manifolds be a bottleneck in teh system? I'd have to imagine my lid, LT's and catback would flow better than a stock air box, Fast intake, stock manifolds, and catback. But I could be wrong.

**I have a Dynomax bullet catback, which isn't in my sig**
Yup, your exhaust is leaps and bounds above his. Stock manifolds suck for flow, as does the stock y. To say his would out flow yours is inaccurate.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SladeX
a z28=ss for the most part...

chirp of tires don't mean squat...

let's put it in perspective... I spun 1st, part of 2nd, and chirped 3rd on 315 Nitto drag radials... only to pull... drumroll.... 13.1@108

not quite spectacular the track was crap and the nittos were <40%

if you didn't see the timer at the end, you would have loved my car and it's "power" lol

though on the same track when stock I was running 13.8 on average @ 104 so full bolt ons are worth some power.

I'd suggest making sure he runs those same tires when he squares off against you at the track. Traction wins races and it sounds like you got more of it than him with power close enough to each other to make it a driver's race.

stock manifolds will hurt compared to longtubes. An intake is worth less in hp/torque gain than headers. I have dyno sheets that show while I gained roughly 8hp and 10ft/lb of torque with the LS6 intake, my headers and full exhaust netted me 38hp and 34ft/lb of torque...
Those are impressive numbers you netted from headers and full exhaust. It pisses me off I didn't dyno my car stock to see how each mod increased power.

I'll have to line up with him and run em. As some others have mentioned, I think the difference in tires has something to do with the chirping. I rarely spin mine (unless I dump the clutch at 2500 rpm's off the line - which I don't like to do with a stock 10 bolt). Other than that, they never chirp.

I will say this, putting the Fast intake on was a PITA. For you guys that have swapped them, you know what I'm talking about. There is very little room to work with at the back of the motor. The hardest part was getting the bolts out, then putting them in and torquing them down to 89 in/lbs. Plus, the MAP sensor was pain to hook up.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trust
Yup, your exhaust is leaps and bounds above his. Stock manifolds suck for flow, as does the stock y. To say his would out flow yours is inaccurate.
Yes I would definately agree. What the hell was he thinking getting a fast 90/90 setup before LT's (not saying he should have even got the fast setup).

Stock manifolds/ypipe w/ Fast 90/90
Old 08-06-2007, 04:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

A friggin 98 Z28 was rapin me at the drags. He had LT's. I was just Cat back and lid at the time but his car had 135,000 miles and an auto. Got me off the line everytime. He was consistent 13.2's I was at 13.5-6. My car looked meaner though. My Scoop was really showin its purpose @100 mph at the end of the strip....
Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

You Will Always Feel More Power In The Passengers Seat Than The Drivers Seat. I Let My Buddy Take My Car For A Spin. I Was Shotgun, And I Didnt Know My Car Pulled Like That. Get Behind The Wheel And Its A Different Story.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
A friggin 98 Z28 was rapin me at the drags. He had LT's. I was just Cat back and lid at the time but his car had 135,000 miles and an auto. Got me off the line everytime. He was consistent 13.2's I was at 13.5-6. My car looked meaner though. My Scoop was really showin its purpose @100 mph at the end of the strip....
it an auto thats why its consisten and a lil quiker
Old 08-06-2007, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1SPRY99
You Will Always Feel More Power In The Passengers Seat Than The Drivers Seat. I Let My Buddy Take My Car For A Spin. I Was Shotgun, And I Didnt Know My Car Pulled Like That. Get Behind The Wheel And Its A Different Story.
Absolutely true. Cars always feel more impressive from the passenger seat.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

an auto with similar power numbers on the dyno should technically finish the 1/4 mile faster. It'll take a m6 car a bit more hp/torque or weight reduction/traction differences to make up.

It's more the m6 driver's race to lose (with shifting) though if both cars *hook* the same, weigh the same and are stock.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1SPRY99
I concur, sit in your passenger seat and be amazed at the difference in feel from when your driving
Old 08-06-2007, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MikeG
Absolutely true. Cars always feel more impressive from the passenger seat.
That's why I had somebody drive my car and I rode in the passenger seat. Not holding onto a steering wheel while the car is floored =
Old 08-06-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some times on a mostly stock car with stock manifolds will FEEL like it's pulling harder down low. Like someone else said I would run him and find out because with your LT's I would bet You would pull a Little harder on top.