New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam before bolt-ons....bad idea??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam before bolt-ons....bad idea??

ive had a new ls1 put into my 98 TA w/ a forged crank, stainless steel valves, bored 30 over, and a "stage 2 cam".... now, here is my problem.. no headers, stock y pipe, stock intake mani, so i realize that before i put these mods on my car, im not gonna make any power.. thats not so much the problem as this is... i made the mistake of letting my buddy put the internals in this engine... the company he purchased the cam from will not realease any specs... the only piece of information they will give out is that it is a performance stage 2 cam.

okay, so w/ that little bit of engine work i also have a hooker cat-back w/ a cutout, and a SLP flowpack and im only making 320 rwhp..

with that in mind, can anybody guess what kind of power i may be looking at w/ LT's and a Y?? also ordering a F.A.S.T. intake and throttle body soon.

and a word of advice for any body looking to cam their car......dont be a dumbass like me and expect someone else to "take care of you".. yea, he saved me some money, but look at my problems now.. more than likely im gonna do a cam swap, thinking about a custom cam from texas speed, which will fix my problem but also burn my pockets up.. so do some research, and make sure you know whats goin in your car....
Old 08-08-2007, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

stage 2 thats kinda ricey...lol....you should pick up upwards of 25rwhp with headers and ory.....id do all that then get a tune that will benefit you a great deal.....
Old 08-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Teching In

lol, yea pretty much man... thats all they can tell me.. i think its pretty rediculous myself.. but i guess you live and learn.. im gonna do a custom cam swap soon... lol, i like that though.. "ricey" very nice
Old 08-08-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Waht company sold the parts to him? I'm sure you will be able to find the specs to that cam, on this site.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

First of all why waste a ton of money on a FAST intake.....Just buy an LS6, You will see no difference in a car like yours.
A cam swap will run you around 1200$ give or take, after everything you NEED imo is ordered.
That's installing it yourself....
Personally I'd do Airflow and supporting mods first IE Headers, Intake, Lid, Catback, then move to camming your car.

And another thing, I think whoever told you you're LS1 is bored 30 over is blowing smoke up your ***. ??
They are aluminum block with thin sleeves to begin with, and to my knowledge only .010 over is attainable aka one rebuild....
Old 08-08-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
First of all why waste a ton of money on a FAST intake.....Just buy an LS6, You will see no difference in a car like yours.
A cam swap will run you around 1200$ give or take, after everything you NEED imo is ordered.
That's installing it yourself....
Personally I'd do Airflow and supporting mods first IE Headers, Intake, Lid, Catback, then move to camming your car.
I whole heartedly agree with not wasting money on the Fast 90/90 setup for your mild mods. You won't be flowing that high of numbers anyways, so why not save yourself $600 or so and get a LS6 intake and ported TB?

As for the cam swap being $1200, I think that is over priced. Sure the cam is near $400, but since he currently ran a cam already, he may not have to replace springs and stuff. I'd make sure you have a LS2 timing chain and LS6 ported oil pump though...
Old 08-08-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Black Mamba
I whole heartedly agree with not wasting money on the Fast 90/90 setup for your mild mods. You won't be flowing that high of numbers anyways, so why not save yourself $600 or so and get a LS6 intake and ported TB?

As for the cam swap being $1200, I think that is over priced. Sure the cam is near $400, but since he currently ran a cam already, he may not have to replace springs and stuff. I'd make sure you have a LS2 timing chain and LS6 ported oil pump though...
With my rods, springs, oil pump etc etc., I went the whole nine yards in my last LS1, and it was right at 1k-1.2k. My as well do it right if you're going to do it, plus you can't forget the cost of a tune in there.....
Old 08-09-2007, 06:50 AM
On The Tree

I got my cam setup from TSP. Dual Springs (retainers, seats, ect.), hardened push rods, cam, ported LS6 oil pump, and an LS2 timing chain. I spent $1050, shipped and taxed.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Teching In

no, im pretty sure up to .040 over is possible. maybe im wrong, but that's what i think and i preciate the advice. my headers should be here tomorrow.

how much did yall pay for installation?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

$0. I do all my own work, though I do go to a shop for tuning.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

Since you do not know your cam specs, I say do your supporting mods, tune it, and see where you are at. Either the shop that tunes it can give you a rough idea about what size cam you have or post up the dyno graph and people on here can probably venture a guess.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrod98TA
no, im pretty sure up to .040 over is possible. maybe im wrong, but that's what i think and i preciate the advice. my headers should be here tomorrow.

how much did yall pay for installation?
200$ I was goin to do it myself but for that price to be done in two days and tuned, i took it.