New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 Camaro/ Ws 6 / big questions..

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 Camaro/ Ws 6 / big questions..

Well let me start off by saying whoever posts on this i appreaciate it more than you know due to my complete lack of knowledge (soon to be fixed by going to automotive school.. hopefully). So lets start off with the facts. I just recently graduated high school and have a sweet little graduation present.. 20k. So i just moved to TX from CO and my original "dream car" was a wrx. Living in colorado and wanting a little power for the awd the wrx is a sweet deal. Now moving to TX and knowing im not going back to CO my opinions have changed. I havent read (bout to start tonight after finding this huge *** site!), and havent listened to more than one opinion i have a couple questions in mind. The first being could this be right for me? Does the money situation play out to the car situation? As in, will buying a car with 60k or even more miles get me reliable car that will run a long time? All of this is new to me and I wish i could know more but ive only read one post that caught my attention that said he had stock internals never modded engine and runs it to 190k beating on it and its still running strong? Is this an average? Many questions i must research myself but first look impressions would also help alot. Im sure the vet's of this sight could guide me to the right threads. LS1 Camaro seems right up my alley, the car was the first "fast" car that i actually liked. I was just always pushed to imports for a reason, but after seeing the ws6 spank the supra that i loved i realized what i loved about imports, turbos. Which seem to go great with the Ls1 motor. These are all great things i love to hear because it would be awseome to find the perfect camaro with a great ls1 in it and move my way through automotive school while my car moves its way through track times. Perfect trade off. So im glad you've made it this far through my situation and most of you would say im spoiled and the fact is that I am. But im going to take advantage of that and hopefully be able to make some friends along the way. Input and all is MUCH appreciated, ive got alot of reading to do so please help out along the way. Oh and ls1tech.com looks awseome! sight is huge! thanks for having me as a member.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Launching!

ls1s last forever, theres a part of the site for the record stock motor, and a couple are above 200k, and you can't not get on it :-) so you know it wasn't an easy life

get a turbo, and you'll have one decent amount of power out of the stock block

oh and welcome
Old 08-17-2007, 04:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did the import 4cyl thing but always wanted a Camaro. You just cant get the thrill out of a 4cyl FWD/AWD you can from a RWD V8. And even now the fastest cars are only as fast or a tad faster than these 5-10 yr old cars. And there really isnt many of them running around. It may take some money but it really doesnt take much to get these cars into the low 12's/ high 11's. Im just waitin on the money part...
Old 08-17-2007, 04:20 AM
Staging Lane

You can get a VERY nice LS1 car for under 20k, You can have mine for 10k and invest the rest lol...but seriously, you can find a low mileage one, in the 30,000ish miles for around 15.

James
Old 08-17-2007, 06:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With $20k you can buy an LS1 fbody and mod it into the 11's and have money left over. First mod....12bolt or 9" rear end.......
Old 08-17-2007, 07:53 AM
Banned

cant go wrong with an f body
Old 08-17-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well first off you wont go wrong with an LS1. You can get a low mileage car for practically nothing and run in the low 12s high 11s with very little invested. And they do last forever, I have tried to destroy my Trans Am and have yet to succeed, at 109K the tranny is finally starting to get cranky. Hell I like them so much I bought another one. If you need any help, just ask, someone on this forum has the answers.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Yea, 20K is more than enough to get yourself one of the nicer f-bodys out there. Couple tips, get a 01-02, they have alot of the good stuff(LS6 intake,etc.), wouldn't really go out of my way to buy a WS6/Firehawk/SS for performance reasons, all your basically spending the extra money on is appearance but hey if you like the way they look and wanna dish out the extra cash go for it, TA's, Formulas and Z28's are basically the same performance-wise ...... and your gonna wanna get a rear-end eventually because the stock 10-bolt pretty much sucks. welcome aboard
Old 08-17-2007, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z28 F--T--W. Just beat up an evo mr yesterday from a slow roll. Awd is nice but RWD is the best. Welcome to the site, it has taught me alot, i paid about 20k almost 3 years ago for my car but it is an 02 and i bought it with 12,000 miles on it.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

You have found the right place! Dig into this site and find just about anything you want to know. These cars are great in stock form. You really can go drag racing, then do an autocross, move up to a road coarse, and then drive to Florida. Then, if you want, you can customize the car to do any of these things very well. Do your research and enjoy the car.

Oh, you did not say where in Texas you are moving to but you can find fellow enthusiasts just about anywhere.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to let you know I used to be all into Honda's still like the looks on allot of em that aren't to far riced but man the first time I test drove a ls1 omg Ive never looked back OK here is what you do go to a dealership that has one and test drive it I want you to get it to about 30 MPH steady then just nail the **** outa it and well see if the pull of the ls1 at 3500-6000 rpm's don't make you wet your pants
Old 08-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a reformed import turbo guy myself. The ls1 is so much better than any turbo motor I've owned. The only real weak part in these cars is the drivetrain or more specifically the rear. The fit/finish (squeeks/rattles/pops) isn't quite as good as the imports, but it's not a real big deal imo.

With 20k you can get a really nice car and have money left over for mods. Welcome to the board