Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for a WS6

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a WS6

Hi, I'm new and am looking to purchase a Trans Am WS6. I'm just wondering if you all could help me out and let me know what things I should look for/inspect on the car before purchasing. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Insanitycurse
Hi, I'm new and am looking to purchase a Trans Am WS6. I'm just wondering if you all could help me out and let me know what things I should look for/inspect on the car before purchasing. Thanks.
I take it you are probably looking for a 98-02. the 02's are the best in the fact that they have the upgraded LS6 intake and most of the 01's had this too. But lets get one thing straight, they all perform about the same. The later models might be a little quicker, but not by alot. One way to spot if they are a true WS6 is by looking at the hood, wheels, badge on the back, and open the driver door and look at the door sticker, look for RPO code WS6 as an option. If its on there its a true WS6 if not, someone bought the wheels hood and badge. This happens. Also, look at the air box under the hood, WS6's are raised up a little more than the others. here is a good link by JRP and 777 https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/213148-jrp-s-faq-commonly-asked-questions.html and also https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/458711-general-et-hp-database-what-s-your-1-4-mile-time.html im not joking read these, you will be surprised with results and also be alot more knowledgeable, if you are serious about Fbodys you will read these threads. I still read them once in a while because they are so good, and ive been around for almost 5 years around f bodys. Good luck. Tell us what you go with. I know of one for sale so tell me where you are from.

Mike
Old 08-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Teching In

hey, thanks for the reply. I read a lot of the first thread you linked already and am going to read up in the second one. I know (at least I think) how to identify an F-body. My question was more to the extent of what things, should I look for to make sure the car wasn't abused/is in good condition. What questions should I ask the seller?

The car I am actually looking at isn't a true WS6...but it's in my price range.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/398194378.html

Tell me what you guys think. Also I tried using the search function here on the site several times but it seems to not be working, I am wondering what, if any, is the difference between the Formula Trans Ams, compared to the base LS1 TA? Thanks again.

Edit: I am located in Sacramento, California.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Insanitycurse
hey, thanks for the reply. I read a lot of the first thread you linked already and am going to read up in the second one. I know (at least I think) how to identify an F-body. My question was more to the extent of what things, should I look for to make sure the car wasn't abused/is in good condition. What questions should I ask the seller?

The car I am actually looking at isn't a true WS6...but it's in my price range.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/398194378.html

Tell me what you guys think. Also I tried using the search function here on the site several times but it seems to not be working, I am wondering what, if any, is the difference between the Formula Trans Ams, compared to the base LS1 TA? Thanks again.

Edit: I am located in Sacramento, California.
WOW, first off! That is a clean TA. I would say that it is infact a true formula but not a ws6. He did add the WS6 options on it I see, which he is right about the 01-02's how they didnt make the Formy WS6. Questions that I would ask are the basic how often (milage) was the oil changed, did you use synthetic, were fluids ever changed, was it garaged in the winter or half of the year wherever it was stored? Adult driven. You will be able to tell if it was abused when you drive it by the way it feels, if you hear wines, rattles, ticking that sort of stuff.

I think that I would buy it in a heart beat. It looks great, and it has two nice mods on it that you dont have to full with and just have fun with. There is no difference in the Formula compaired to the base TA performance wise. The only difference in the two are the exterior, the front bumper lights, and the rear spoiler, and I think a few ground fx., and wheels.

I know of a black 02 WS6 m6 in Michigan with 2200miles on it for 19k if you want to come all the way out east, but other than that, I think you got a good find.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Newb here too,

Just a few basics to ask you guys.

Is it true that the 98's had a weaker motor and then GM took care of that in 99? Also, the 99's was the last year that did NOT have a hydraulic clutch, correct?

SmokinWS6-Any more info on this car please.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker
Newb here too,

Just a few basics to ask you guys.

Is it true that the 98's had a weaker motor and then GM took care of that in 99? Also, the 99's was the last year that did NOT have a hydraulic clutch, correct?

SmokinWS6-Any more info on this car please.

Ive heard those rumors alos about the 98's. Remember that was the second year that the LS1 was in production, the 97 Vette was the first year for the LS1. Ive read that there were in many cases lots of ticking (knock retard) in alot of the 98 LS1's. You would really have to find alot of original owners of 98's and see what they say, GM i guess did alot of replacements with people that had chronic complaints. As for the clutch, man that is one that has me stumped, ill have to look around and see what I can come up with there.

Whats funny is the original owner of my TA, whom I know, had massive ticking problems, its a 2000 also. GM completely replaced the engine with a new one only after 5000 miles. So I know that all LS1's have had some kind of knock. They will knock, is it a bad thing, most of the time no, but if it gets louder and louder then you may have a problem. Whats cool about my enigine now is that it has 5000 miles less than the odometer reads, I have the paperwork on the engine swap, and there are a few extras that came with the engine.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

98-99's had the same cams I belive but all the 98-02 had the same engine and were just as strong, the only reason why 98's are looked down upon sometimes is because in 99 GM changed the PCM and some shops dont have the 98 tuneing software and such.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
Ive heard those rumors alos about the 98's. Remember that was the second year that the LS1 was in production, the 97 Vette was the first year for the LS1. Ive read that there were in many cases lots of ticking (knock retard) in alot of the 98 LS1's. You would really have to find alot of original owners of 98's and see what they say, GM i guess did alot of replacements with people that had chronic complaints. As for the clutch, man that is one that has me stumped, ill have to look around and see what I can come up with there.

Whats funny is the original owner of my TA, whom I know, had massive ticking problems, its a 2000 also. GM completely replaced the engine with a new one only after 5000 miles. So I know that all LS1's have had some kind of knock. They will knock, is it a bad thing, most of the time no, but if it gets louder and louder then you may have a problem. Whats cool about my enigine now is that it has 5000 miles less than the odometer reads, I have the paperwork on the engine swap, and there are a few extras that came with the engine.
Funny you say that because my friends 00' had a tick to it at all times....
Do you have any pictures/info on that WS6 that you said was for sale?The one with 2200 miles.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker
Funny you say that because my friends 00' had a tick to it at all times....
Do you have any pictures/info on that WS6 that you said was for sale?The one with 2200 miles.
Yea I dont know what happened in 2000 but I know that mine was built in May 2000 so they were probably the last 2000's put together. Im so happy the original owner took charge and told GM he wanted a new one.

If you want more info about that TA, just PM me. Its in Michigan remember!!