Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI vs SSRA

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI vs SSRA

ive got an 01 black ss and i got the slp lid and bellow, i wanna get the cai or ssra but ive heard u have trouble with those in teh rain is this true, and also which one do u think is the better deal??
Old 08-22-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are about the same. I have the SLP cai on my car and have never had any problems in the rain. It does make the air filter get dirty much faster though.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Teching In

hey thanks for the reply, i jus heard that the ssra especially hurt u in the rain and it would suck to install it and then get a bunch of water sucked into the motor and blow it up, but did u notice any performance boost that u would recommmend?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was on my car when I bought it but I could tell a slight differance on a friends v6 when we installed it.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be quite honest, I've had the FTRA where I've run just the upper portion, both portions, and even tried it for a while with an SSRA scoop on the bottom, and in the end, it wasn't worth it. The SSRA scoop ended up getting dragged along the ground pulling out of a parking garage, so I tossed it, and the FTRA made the car run warmer and I never really noticed a difference. After I spent all that money, I ended up not running any of them, and never will again.

Nickeling and diming your way to better performance has its place in this world, but I end up always wanting more...I've spent so much money doing and redoing the small **** where I should have just done something larger like a new cam or heads and been done with it.

I don't know...there probably aren't many people that see things my way, but that's my take on it. Honestly, if you are after performance, I think there are more effective ways to do it than with a CAI like that, but they are almost always more expensive. All the little supporting things help in the end, but if I had to do it over again, I would have waited on many of the things and gotten some of the bigger stuff up front (like heads/cam, etc).
Old 08-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Teching In

thanx for the tips, ijus made an account on here, im bout to sell this dirtbike adn will prally get a full exhaust system, headers and all, then the future definetely sees a cam and head deal, jus gettin started tho, but i really like ur ss, it looks pretty sick
Old 08-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

yea def sick ss
Old 08-23-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

go to installuniversity and look at the free ram air mod (FRAM)...pretty much the same thing as a SSRA except free
Old 08-23-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

get a lid & be done with it.....my .02