New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what should i look for when test driving?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what should i look for when test driving?

im going to travel about 400 miles to buy a 00 m6 z28 with 85k on it... is there anything in particular i should be looking for when test driving it before i buy it? thanks.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check out the rear main, it's a common oil leak spot on ls1's. Listen to the rear end while driving for whine and look in the engine bay for things such as plugged holes the intake for nitrous. Then just normal things, tires, engine sounds, etc.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Check all fluids for color, makes sure all lights and electrical accessories work, listen for any strange noises (other than the usual LS1 ticking), check the paint and body panels for allignment, look underneath for leaks and such. Last but not least drive and drive at varying speeds and RPM's to really put the car through it's paces to find any potential problems. Don't forget to run the heat and AC too!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Definately, definately at least once or twice, mat it and shift really hard and try and find clutch slippage. alot of times you wont find something wrong until you get on it hard. dont worry about them bein in the car b/c you dont want to by the car and then find out it has low compression or something fairly expensive and time consuming.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Check and make sure that the tranny stays in 3rd gear with an easy shift into it. The 6-speeds have aluminum shift forks that can bend real easy if the transmission has been banged hard in the 2-3 shift and can make the transmission pop out of gear.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

check for brake pulsation. any kind of driveline noises. pinion seals leak on these cars. theres not much you do as far as im aware. just check it occasionally.

ask for maintenance receipts.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

alright thanks for the advice... hopefully it will be a real sound z and ill buy it.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Everything said above pretty much covers it.

A good test on the state of the clutch would be 5th gear at 39-42. I cruise all the time at 40 in 5th when I had some clutch issues earlier this year it would slip if I tried to slowly accelerate from there. Dont' floor it just accelerate like you want to get to 50 in no big hurry, if it slips then you found an issue.

Good Luck!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gnomee
Everything said above pretty much covers it.

A good test on the state of the clutch would be 5th gear at 39-42. I cruise all the time at 40 in 5th when I had some clutch issues earlier this year it would slip if I tried to slowly accelerate from there. Dont' floor it just accelerate like you want to get to 50 in no big hurry, if it slips then you found an issue.

Good Luck!
This also works while parked.

Put car in 5th gear, try to take off normaly. If the car dies clutch is 90% of the time ok.

Same thing as above but the engine revs, clutch is slipping horribly.

Damn I wished I had you guys before I bought some of my piece of *****! lol
Old 08-31-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Klortho
Check and make sure that the tranny stays in 3rd gear with an easy shift into it. The 6-speeds have aluminum shift forks that can bend real easy if the transmission has been banged hard in the 2-3 shift and can make the transmission pop out of gear.
my car sometimes does this, pisses me off