New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant check valve off of intake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant check valve off of intake?

Can someone tell me the techinical name of this part so I can go to the dealership and order the part?

The coolant line that runs from the intake on the passenger side head around the back of the intake and then connects into the driver side head has a coupling that has a 25 degree or so angle that connects into a plastic spicket that comes out of the intake right before the throttle body. This rubber coupling has some sort of check valve (I dont know if that is the right word) that is grounded onto the passenger side cylinder head. The rubber coupling deteriorated until coolant started leaking out so I need to replace it.
Anybody know what the hell this part is called? Please help me because I am tired of driving my girlfriends Cadillac (if it was the the V then I wouldn't mind ).

Please let me know if

Thanks
Old 09-04-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Coolant!? It sounds like you're talking about the PCV system. And Im pretty damn sure that there should NOT be coolant running through it. Maybe your wrong and that is oil not coolant.

ehhh......is this the 99 or the 93?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Launching!

This is the 99. I might be describing it wrong because when the freakin thing was blowing coolant out of it, and I had baby it home with the heater on so the temperature would not go pass 210. Right behind where the throttle body is bolted to the intake there is a male connector about 3 inches long maybe 1/8 in diameter (or smaller) made of plastic sticking out from the intake. It is maybe 2 inches from where the throttle body is connected to the intake (right on the cylindrical part of the intake).

The part I need is a rubber piece that has a 25 or so degree bend in it that is connected to that plastic piece on the intake, has some sort of metal valve in it (that is grounded), and connects to a 1/4 in diameter coolant line that rests right in between the passenger side clyinder head and intake, runs around the top back portion of the engine and *appears* (may not be, could run further down the back of the engine) to be connected in the upper back portion of the driver side cylinder head.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:15 PM
Launching!

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/mmcgehee...60762405254038

Here is a picture with the part out, and the other pic with the part still in the car. You can see the tear in the second picture.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats the PCV valve. Goes from the valve, to the passenger side head, then around the back to the driver side head. Again, im not so sure that coolant should be running through it. AFAIK, it should only be carrying air (PCV=positive crankcase ventilation), and the occasional bit of oil, which is why I asked if you might have identified the fluid incorrectly. I would check your oil to make 100% sure that its coolant that was coming out and not oil. If it was indeed coolant, I think something else is wrong.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I believe that's the coolant line for the throttle body correct?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Camaroz
I believe that's the coolant line for the throttle body correct?
Thats what I thought too.

When I get off work i'll go home I'll start the car and check again to see where the coolant is leaking out.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Just looked at the LS6 Intake swap write up and found out what the part is called. The LS1 intake on the left has the connection for the coolant on the left hand side right were it connects to the throttle body(right by the guys index finger. This is where this part was removed from.

Here is the link to the picture.
http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/geniii...//IMAGE009.jpg

According to the write up it is called the PCV hose. This may be a retarded question but I have to ask. There is no coolant running in the PCV hose to the front of the intake is there?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 93transam

According to the write up it is called the PCV hose. This may be a retarded question but I have to ask. There is no coolant running in the PCV hose to the front of the intake is there?
I retract this question. Did some research. I guess I have to do some more hunting for that coolant link.