Sponsored by:

learning about ls style engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Default learning about ls style engines

for over 40 years i have been using the s/b-b/b chevys, supercharged, nos, etc
now i would like to try the ls1 motor/4l60-80e trans, build kind of a modern day drivetrain chevelle
what i going to do is but it in a 69 chevelle body-getting it in isnt a problem, theres starting to be mounts, headers etc-motor selection is what i need help with
(1) i have looked at a bunch of crate motors, also take out motors that have comp wiring and ecu's with them
if i got a crate motor(was looking at the L92) is it hard to find a wiring harness and ecu that would work?
if i got a take out engine, what would be the best one to look for? 6 bolt heads? 6.o truck motor and do a L92 head swap?
(2) one of the reasons going this way would also be to run fuel inj. some use the elect. gas pedal, others a cable-cable would be easier i would imagine
(3) should i seperate the engine/trans computers, or try and have one operate both-is there an aftermarket one that would allow fuel management and shift control?
(4) down the road, i may run a procharger, i have run a few on gen one motors, so im pretty familiar with them-i notice most gen 3 motors already have high compression, but run on pump gas-do the ls engines design allow it to run better w/o detonation, or does the electronics adjust by controlling spark knock
a lot of questions, but trying to stay within a budget, which wont happen anyway, but i dont want to end up with a bunch of mismatch parts that wont work with each other
my goal is to have a car i can take out on the road, get some decent milage, but still be pretty quick-i have a procharged chevelle now that runs 9's, but its loud and not that great on the road-lol
thanks