Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about headers

Just need a quick explanation on what "polished and ported" headers are. I have a somewhat idea but can't get a complete picture.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:10 AM
TECH Addict

huh??? i think your thinkin of Heads, headers dont come polished and ported. they come ceramic coated and the flanges are all ready setup to where there is no porting needed.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:32 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah I think you are thinking of heads, not headers.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Porting and Polishing is something you would do to get extra flow rates from an item that is cast. After the casting parts are CNC'ed an extra stated is porting and polishing. Heads are cast, original stock manifolds (headers) are cast. You always hear of heads being ported and polished, but never headers. Although it could be possible on stock headers, its not much point and the cost of doing so would outweigh the cost of putting Long Tube (LT's) headers on there.
As Z28LS1camaroguy mentioned earlier they can come ceramic coated, stainless and a few others too, but usually the tubes are fairly smooth on the inside.

I would assume the original question must have been for Heads. You would pay extra to have your heads ported and polished. Usually the exhaust of the heads are polished, not the intake, apparently the bumpiness of the intake helps mix the air and fuel. You will get performance gains from doing this to the heads, but the amount of gain depends on your combo. But is the performance gain worth the extra cost? I guess to work that out you would need to know the actual performance gain to justify the cost, there are posts in this forum quoting the expected gains from porting and polishing. Don't attempt to do it yourself, leave it to the pro's who have been doing it for a long time.

Porting and polishing the throttle body is another common thing. There is someone on the forum who does this for you (thats if he is still doing them, name of Bo White) looking at the posts, he must be one of the best, everyone recommends him.