Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP lid what do i do with the vacuum hose? durr

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP lid what do i do with the vacuum hose? durr

hey everyone i have no idea what to do with the vacuum hose coming off the stock lid. the instructions say to plug the hole in the lid so do i find something to plug the vacuum hose as well?
thanks
Old 09-17-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

You would only need to plug the hole on the lid if you are deleting your air emissions.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Teching In

so how far back do i have to remove the vacuum hoses or pumps in order to get rid of the hose? what does everyone else do with theses air emission hoses pumps?
Old 09-17-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you got the '98-'99 lid it did not come w\the hose kit for the air pump.
no biggie though stand it straight up at the core support and put a rain cap
slash filter on it. i used a vent from a allison truck trans on mine.
i could have tuned it out, but it's an open loop only thing that helps with the visual
on the inspection.
if you cut back the hose and suck in some water it's over for the pump. pretty common on s-10s stock.
buy the right lid,deal with the hose or have it tuned out and cap it.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you seal off the lid just put a breather filter on the hose - available at your local parts store and zip tie it off. Just don't kink the hose restricting the air flow, it'll throw an SES light.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Its not a vacuum line. Its the intake for the AIR system. Its for emissions. Put a breather/filter on the end of the AIR hose and zip tie it somewhere. As for what breather/filter to use, I think an "open/bare"-style valve cover breather is basically the breather/filter you need there (at least that's what mine looks like).

Here is a pic of someones:

You can see the top of it to the right.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Veteran

breather filter into the hose end. i did it and it adds some shine.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quick_68
hey everyone i have no idea what to do with the vacuum hose coming off the stock lid. the instructions say to plug the hole in the lid so do i find something to plug the vacuum hose as well?
thanks
I don't get it, you're saying you got a hole in the lid and a hose that came out of the old lid. It's kind of obvious.
You need to put the hose in the hole in the lid.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Teching In

wow thanks for the replies and pics! I get what everyone is talking about now. the reason I didnt know what to do with the hose is because it is obviously not long enough and did not come with an extension.
8a8mfh the lid i got did not come with an extension like yours so i was wondering what everyone else was doing about this or if i was missing parts to the lid.
thanks for the pics and info!

FYI VIP1 awesome paint job on the engine mods!
Old 09-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Banned

What are you working on? Thats not a pic of my car BTW but it's the same.
You see the joint in the hose right (in the pic) my instructions said to pull that apart and cut some off to make it shorter.
Is the hole on your lid in the same place on the lid pictured? Did your stock lid have the hose connected to it?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Thanks, but its not my car. I don't know to whom it belongs. I found the pic in a search.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:30 PM
Teching In

what i ended up doing was putting a breather on the hose like most the people did. i contacted the seller and he said he did not know it did not have the extension piece with it. so my lid had the block off which i installed. Moved the hose out of the way and put a breather on it.
my car is a 2001 SS
thanks for the help
Old 09-18-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car doesn't have any hose feeding into the stock airbox. I went today to pick up an SLP lid off a forum member (STS Turbos are fun) and it has the airtube.

I thought a 98 would have the AIR system. WTF, mates.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

If I remember correctly, 1998 & 1999 f-body didn't have the AIR system.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:39 AM

wow thanks for the replies and pics! I get what everyone is talking about now. the reason I didnt know what to do with the hose is because it is obviously not long enough and did not come with an extension.
8a8mfh the lid i got did not come with an extension like yours so i was wondering what everyone else was doing about this or if i was missing parts to the lid.
thanks for the pics and info!

You must excuse me... i am very slow. I still don't get it. The hose coming off the right side of the SLP Lid, is it supposed to connect somewhere or just hang around, i thought it was just for looks. Mine is a 1999 Z28 and the hose is just there... is that bad?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
I don't get it, you're saying you got a hole in the lid and a hose that came out of the old lid. It's kind of obvious.
You need to put the hose in the hole in the lid.
If you are worried about (visual) inspection, this is the way to do it, IF you have an SLP lid. If the inspection ***** question your lid being illegal, you could always argue, "but ALL of the emissions equipment is still hooked up".
Of course, this does not fly too well if you're also running LTs with no cats, and EGR delete.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by VIP1
If I remember correctly, 1998 & 1999 f-body didn't have the AIR system.
Yes they did. The AIR system was just less complex and it lacked the hose that ran into the lid. It also lacked the vacuum line that has to be plugged up with a screw.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Yes they did. The AIR system was just less complex and it lacked the hose that ran into the lid. It also lacked the vacuum line that has to be plugged up with a screw.
What vacuum line? I don't have any vacuum lines going to/from my air lid and I have never seen any on anyone else's car.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by VIP1
What vacuum line? I don't have any vacuum lines going to/from my air lid and I have never seen any on anyone else's car.
00-02 LS1 f-bodys have an air tube going from the lid to the back of the engine bay. They also have a vacuum line feeding into the AIR system. When you remove the AIR system, you have to plug that vacuum line with a screw. The 98-99 LS1 f-bodys don't have these two things. They only have tubes running from both exhaust manifolds to the AIR pump.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
00-02 LS1 f-bodys have an air tube going from the lid to the back of the engine bay. They also have a vacuum line feeding into the AIR system. When you remove the AIR system, you have to plug that vacuum line with a screw. The 98-99 LS1 f-bodys don't have these two things. They only have tubes running from both exhaust manifolds to the AIR pump.
Thats wrong. The tube goes from the air lid to the intake ON THE PUMP. From the pump it has one hose that goes to the top driver side of the engine (thats the one you see on the drivers side inner fender) on that side of the engine is a diverter valve that has one hose in, two hoses out, one to each exhaust manifold. That valve is controlled by the AIR solenoid. The small vacuum line that connects to the rear of the intake manifold is maybe 6 inches long, it goes to one side of the solenoid, the other side of the solenoid has a vacuum line that goes to the diverter valve.

Originally Posted by MultiOrgasm
You must excuse me... i am very slow. I still don't get it. The hose coming off the right side of the SLP Lid, is it supposed to connect somewhere or just hang around, i thought it was just for looks. Mine is a 1999 Z28 and the hose is just there... is that bad?
Yea because all the air that sucks into that hose is unfiltered and goes right into the engine.

Quick Reply: SLP lid what do i do with the vacuum hose? durr