New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats The Best Headers For Power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats The Best Headers For Power?

This might be a stupid question but does a kooks headers make more power than say a pacesetter or hooker? I know there is a difference in the material that they are made from. But does one make more power than the other? Or are they all about the same? I am ready to put my headers on the car but just not sure what header to go with. The Kooks are around $1300 with y-pipe. I can get the pacesetters for around $500 with the y-pipe Ceramic coated. If there is no difference in performance I will just go with the pacesetters or the Hookers. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally put the pacesetters on it and use the extra 700 or so to do an ls6 intake, ported throttle body, dyno tune, cutout or something like that the quality is pretty close on all of them. Just my two cents. What is allready done to your car?
Old 09-23-2007, 02:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 180ls1
Personally put the pacesetters on it and use the extra 700 or so to do an ls6 intake, ported throttle body, dyno tune, cutout or something like that the quality is pretty close on all of them. Just my two cents. What is allready done to your car?

I have a 2002 Z28 A4 (so it's already got the LS6 intake). I got the ram air mod, TB bypass, SLP lid with K&N dropin filter, Magnaflow exhaust, gutted cats and a custom dyno tune. Looking to do the headers, cam, converter and gears next. Then a good set of cylinder headers, all BMR suspension, Moser 12 bolt, and a rebuilt race ready transmission.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by odarabla
I have a 2002 Z28 A4 (so it's already got the LS6 intake). I got the ram air mod, TB bypass, SLP lid with K&N dropin filter, Magnaflow exhaust, gutted cats and a custom dyno tune. Looking to do the headers, cam, converter and gears next. Then a good set of cylinder headers, all BMR suspension, Moser 12 bolt, and a rebuilt race ready transmission.
Best headers for power? Long tube's. Best long tube's? Pacesetter's.

BTW - PRC 2.5 5.3L's Rule
Old 09-23-2007, 06:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Be more worried about fitment not power all long tubes are going to be around the same in power. I have coated pacesetters fit perfect and good price.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, Kooks are the best out there. Their stuff is top notch.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
IMO, Kooks are the best out there. Their stuff is top notch.

This is what thunder racing is telling me. But they want $2000.00 for the headers and the install. I just cannot see paying this price. I would much rather spend $500.00 and try it myself.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what thunder racing is telling me. But they want $2000.00 for the headers and the install. I just cannot see paying this price. I would much rather spend $500.00 and try it myself.
You asked for the best.

In terms of bang for the buck, Pacesetter's are a very nice option.

I'm far too lazy these days to install headers...too much of a PITA
for me. It's no fun without a lift.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

No question about kooks being the best. I have a pacesetters and there is a reason everyone and their brother have pacesetters. Not many people want to pay 1300 dollars for headers or however much you said it was. Pacesetters have proven time and time again that for very good fitment and equal power gains compared to the other long tubes you don't have to drop a 6-700 dollars (over 1000) in your case.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by COD02SS
Best headers for power? Long tube's. Best long tube's? Pacesetter's.

BTW - PRC 2.5 5.3L's Rule
You think "Made In Mexico" Pacesetters are the best longtubes? Just as a comparison, here is a set of Pacesetters next to a set of Edelbrocks:

The Pacesetters look like a baby toy.

Pacesetters are okay for the money, but "you get what you pay for" does not escape them. They're still Mexican-made junk compared to the higher priced headers on the market.

The OP asked for the best headers for power. Pacesetters will make less power than most longtubes on the market.

To answer the OP's question, for non-stainless, lower-priced headers, Edelbrocks will make the most power. For high quality stainless steel headers, QTP and ARH will make the most power. I'm personally a QTP fan as I do not see a justification spending $200 more to get ARH headers. QTP has the best merge collectors in the industry, and I strongly doubt ARH will best them for power.

To back up what I'm saying, here's a dyno chart of a longtube swap. The OP swapped from Pacesetter longtubes to QTP longtunes - no other changes. There was a 9rwhp peak gain and an 18rwhp/31rwtq gain at ~3100 rpms.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/700678-results-qtp-hvmc-vs-pacesetters.html
Old 09-23-2007, 12:29 PM

edelbrocks are nice!
Old 09-23-2007, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
You think "Made In Mexico" Pacesetters are the best longtubes? Just as a comparison, here is a set of Pacesetters next to a set of Edelbrocks:

The Pacesetters look like a baby toy.

Pacesetters are okay for the money, but "you get what you pay for" does not escape them. They're still Mexican-made junk compared to the higher priced headers on the market.

The OP asked for the best headers for power. Pacesetters will make less power than most longtubes on the market.

To answer the OP's question, for non-stainless, lower-priced headers, Edelbrocks will make the most power. For high quality stainless steel headers, QTP and ARH will make the most power. I'm personally a QTP fan as I do not see a justification spending $200 more to get ARH headers. QTP has the best merge collectors in the industry, and I strongly doubt ARH will best them for power.

To back up what I'm saying, here's a dyno chart of a longtube swap. The OP swapped from Pacesetter longtubes to QTP longtunes - no other changes. There was a 9rwhp peak gain and an 18rwhp/31rwtq gain at ~3100 rpms.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700678

Ya, but how hard are they to install? I thought the QTP headers where right up there with the kooks when it came to price. But I must say if this is the best for power this is what I will go with.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:04 AM
Tech Resident

Ya, but how hard are they to install? I thought the QTP headers where right up there with the kooks when it came to price. But I must say if this is the best for power this is what I will go with.
QTP's are significantly cheaper than Kooks, though they offer similar if not better gains (QTP's have a much better collector design than Kooks longtubes). MPH (sponsor) just had them on sale for $685 which is a very good deal.

The install is a moot point. So what if it takes an extra 2 hours to install? The headers stay on your car for years, and the fact that people actually consider "install difficulty" a top priority for buying the headers scares me. Yea, an easy install is nice, but if you buy an inferior set of headers because they're easier to install, you're buying the headers for the wrong reason. You want performance, and spending a few hours extra on the install doesn't mean anything once the headers are on the car.

FWIW, all that needed to be removed to put my QTP's in were the spark plugs (but I put in new plugs and wires anyway) and the oil drain plug. Nothing needed to be cut or ground. I'm getting a little rubbing on the steering column shaft on the driver's side, but that'll be a simple adjustment. During the install, the engine was discovered to be tilted horribly on the stock mounts and needed to be realigned. The alignment will just need to be tweaked a little further.

BTW, headers like QTP's will always be a little harder to install because they're a longer header. Ease of install can actually be a negative as this may mean you're getting a shorter longtube. That means less performance.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
QTP's are significantly cheaper than Kooks, though they offer similar if not better gains (QTP's have a much better collector design than Kooks longtubes). MPH (sponsor) just had them on sale for $685 which is a very good deal.

The install is a moot point. So what if it takes an extra 2 hours to install? The headers stay on your car for years, and the fact that people actually consider "install difficulty" a top priority for buying the headers scares me. Yea, an easy install is nice, but if you buy an inferior set of headers because they're easier to install, you're buying the headers for the wrong reason. You want performance, and spending a few hours extra on the install doesn't mean anything once the headers are on the car.

FWIW, all that needed to be removed to put my QTP's in were the spark plugs (but I put in new plugs and wires anyway) and the oil drain plug. Nothing needed to be cut or ground. I'm getting a little rubbing on the steering column shaft on the driver's side, but that'll be a simple adjustment. During the install, the engine was discovered to be tilted horribly on the stock mounts and needed to be realigned. The alignment will just need to be tweaked a little further.

BTW, headers like QTP's will always be a little harder to install because they're a longer header. Ease of install can actually be a negative as this may mean you're getting a shorter longtube. That means less performance.

I understand this and thanks for the info. I asked the guys at thunder racing about the difference in performance between the Kooks and the Hookers LT headers and they agreed that the only difference was in quality of material. No difference in performance. But they did say that the pacesetters where garbage and thats why they don't sell them. Thanks again for all the info that you have presented.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

The absolute best as far as quality and fitment goes is Kooks hands down, but as other people have stated they are very expensive(you get what you pay for)

In my opinion the best for the money are Hooker Super Comps.

I had shitty SLP headers and the ceramic coating was worthless on them, and they just plained sucked.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SHINER
The absolute best as far as quality and fitment goes is Kooks hands down, but as other people have stated they are very expensive(you get what you pay for)

In my opinion the best for the money are Hooker Super Comps.

I had shitty SLP headers and the ceramic coating was worthless on them, and they just plained sucked.

This was one of the headers I was thinking of going with.. I want to hear a little more from people that have hookers. I guess each is own when it comes to headers. Thats what I am getting. This guy has pacesetters and to him they are the best on the market. Another fella has Hooker headers and they are they best for power.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the edelbrock stepped headers (shown above) and i'm pretty happy with em, if I did it again i would probably have them welded and possibly ceramic coated b4 install, but there a nice headers. stepped, 1 3/4 to 1/ 7/8 (fwiw) and a HVMC ... plus for the headers and ORY i paid about 500 bucks. if you don't mind spending some more, a set of QTP's with the HVMC would be the way to go. Stainless steal is a lot nicer than a ceramic coating or the "ti-tech" coating on my edelbrocks.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

Well...when I had both my Z28 and GTO... I went the cheap route and bought Pacesetter headers....Both made around 25rwhp untuned...and only cost $500 with midpipes shipped
Old 09-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Launching!

I have hooker super comps. I dont have anything to compare them to, but I like them.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

kooks are nice no joke but for the money pacesetter hands down........mine fit great you would have better luck if this were moved to external engine......ill possibly purchase kooks later on just for show reasons

Quick Reply: Whats The Best Headers For Power?