Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help "winterizing" car

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 03:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Need help "winterizing" car

Winter is coming up and sometime in Missouri they can get pretty bad so I have decided to buy a "cheap" junk car to drive around in the snow for several reasons. Insurance is cheaper and i'll only need liability, don't have to worry about wrecking my baby, won't have to buy new tires to replace the dr's on it now for the water, snow, and ice, and all the ice means salt on the roads that I don't want rusting on any part of my car. Plus it'll save miles on the car too. I plan on parking the car at someone's house out in the counrty with an expensive water proof car cover on it. I don't want water getting into the gas tank or anything like that happening. What all do I need to look out for and what can I do to prepare for it? I also don't want flat spots on the tires or a dead battery when it's time to drive it again...
Old 09-24-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gas line anti freeze, carpet under the tires should help but i put mine on jackstands so i dont put wear on the suspension also, dont leave the e brake engaged

best thing to do would be get a tarp tent if you dont have a garage for it
its only like 100 more than a nice car cover
Old 09-24-2007, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fill the gas tank and put a can of Seafoam in it. This acts as gasoline antifreeze, fuel stabilizer and will clean out any gunk that accumulates over winter. Be sure to run it long enough to get treated gas through the fuel system. Charge your battery every couple weeks or connect a battery maintainer to it since the parasitic draw will cause it to go dead which is hard on batteries. As mentioned, jack stands or something under the tires is good. A lot of people put fabric softener sheets in the car, glove box, ETC. to prevent hitch hikers (mice) from taking up residence in your car.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/416584-things-do-before-storing-your-vehicle.html

This has been covered in the "maintenance and repairs" section.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks a lot guys!

Quick Reply: Need help "winterizing" car