Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 LS1 idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 LS1 idle

I have a 2002 trans am ws6.

The engine seems to idle down very slowly compared to say a carb motor. Plus sometimes the idle seems just higher than normal.

Is this normal for an LS1? Is there an adjustment or something that can be done?

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

when its cold ofcourse it will idle higher then idle down lower. whats the tach say? does it have a tough time cranking up? what mods does it have?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ccassel4
I have a 2002 trans am ws6.

The engine seems to idle down very slowly compared to say a carb motor. Plus sometimes the idle seems just higher than normal.

Is this normal for an LS1? Is there an adjustment or something that can be done?

Thanks!
Welcome to fuel injection. It takes some major tuning with software to get fuel injection to have the throttle response a carb has. Don't pay too much attention to your tach, most are off a ways from the factory. Mine reads 1100 when I'm idling at 850.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:51 AM

Default idle

This is when the engine is warm.

When reved the engine takes longer than usual to come down in idle. Is anyone here qualified to answer this question, for example has had this problem or is a mechanic?

Everything on the car is stock except the exhaust.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ccassel4
This is when the engine is warm.

When reved the engine takes longer than usual to come down in idle. Is anyone here qualified to answer this question, for example has had this problem or is a mechanic?
Yea there are plenty of people here qualififed to look at your car and tell you if it's normal. But the way you're asking the question might confuse the whole team that designed the LS1.

You say it takes longer than usual. OK whats usual TO YOU?

Is usual what it used to idle like?
Is usual what your friends LS1 idles like?
OR
Is usual what a different vehicle idles like?

As I said about anyone here can tell you if it's normal by having the car present, so can you at least put up a video clip, or do we have to keep guessing?
Old 09-27-2007, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

Your idle is controlled by tables on your computer. The main table has it change with engine temperature. But A/C, battery power getting low and many other factors can change what the computer decides to make the car idle at. Everything you said in your first post is completely normal.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Yea there are plenty of people here qualififed to look at your car and tell you if it's normal. But the way you're asking the question might confuse the whole team that designed the LS1.

You say it takes longer than usual. OK whats usual TO YOU?

Is usual what it used to idle like?
Is usual what your friends LS1 idles like?
OR
Is usual what a different vehicle idles like?

As I said about anyone here can tell you if it's normal by having the car present, so can you at least put up a video clip, or do we have to keep guessing?

"Usual" will be slightly different for every car. I find that my LS1 cars tend to idle down a bit slower than other SFI engines I've owned. But is yours "normal"? Really, nobody can tell you that without seeing/hearing the car.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High idle is usually a vacuum leak. You could try spraying some intake cleaner around all your vacuum lines and see if it causes the car to surge at all. If it does you found your leak.

I had that problem on my 96 Maxima and that's how I found it. I had the intake off to clean out the IAC valve and when I put everything back together one split on the bottom and I couldn't see it.