Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newb question about exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default newb question about exhaust

im goin to have a ory made on monday to fix some major leaks, but the muffler shop dude said it wont run worth a damn with the cats out, this true? i know the SES light will be on which i dont care about but will it perform badly without a tune? tune is in the future just dont have the cash to do it right now.. thanks for the input!!
Old 10-12-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DunnoWhoThisIs
im goin to have a ory made on monday to fix some major leaks, but the muffler shop dude said it wont run worth a damn with the cats out, this true? i know the SES light will be on which i dont care about but will it perform badly without a tune? tune is in the future just dont have the cash to do it right now.. thanks for the input!!
Don't listen to him, it will be fine.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

The "Muffler Shop Dude" Probably doesn't have an Engine Performance degree from UTI or any other technical university. He is simply a hired hand to weld metal pipe. Which means he doesn't have a clue as to what he is talking about. **** Punt him and tell him to never give advice again.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrisdacarnut
The "Muffler Shop Dude" Probably doesn't have an Engine Performance degree from UTI or any other technical university. He is simply a hired hand to weld metal pipe. Which means he doesn't have a clue as to what he is talking about. **** Punt him and tell him to never give advice again.

ROFL,do it.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like stated already, it will be fine. I find it funny how many muffler shops have no clue what they are talking about. Like saying true duals wont fit under an Fbody.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have o2 sims or the rear o2 sensors tuned out? i am under the impression it will not run good at all because the o2 sensors are after the cats and if they dont get the right reading your car will run bad.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

^^Nope it is only affected by the fronts reading out of specs. The rears are simply to detect cat. overtemp from being clogged or close to it.

It'll run fine, ran mine w/o cats for a few months. Ran just fine. I put cats on her just for peice of mind, we have smog ****'s down here in SoCal.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

I've got a cat-less system without a tune yet and I can't tell any different
Old 10-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Launching!

aright thanks!! he actually drag races a 65 nova and builds motors, i dunno.. i guess he was thinking the same thing as 180ls1.. i wasnt sure i thought it would run fine but i thought i would ask just to be sure.. just how much louder will it be with the cats out?? i have one of them slowbasterd exhausts lol.. this car used to have side pipes.. it ran ALOT better with them but looked tacky and was really loud.. they came out right in front of the rear wheels on both sides.. hopefully with the cats out it will run as good as it did with the side pipes.. goin from true duals to a dummy dual setup tho..
Old 10-12-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

It will run fine