Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hows your driving position?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hows your driving position?

After test driving several Z28s and an SS I've noticed that the pedals seem really far and the steering wheel is really close. Anyone else have this problem? I'm used to sitting in a fairly high seat, pretty close to the steering wheel. My silly question is, are the steering wheels adjustable at all, for telescope or even tilt on 4th gen F-Bodys?

Another thing to mention is that I'm on the short side, 5'7".
Old 10-22-2007, 07:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

The way I see they made the driving position on the 4th. gen. is like a race car. To me, it sounds like you're used to of driving regular sedans, so it'll take awhile to get used to of, that's all. The only thing our steering wheel has is tilt, it's either 4 or 5 positions, I can't remember. Did they even have telescopic steering wheels by the year of 2002? Also, you can adjust your seat, that might help your positioning. If you have a power seat, that'll really help. But like I said, you probably just need to get used to of it. I'm comfortable driving and I'm only 5'8.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm about 5'9" and thankfully with longer legs so I can sit a little bit back and still get the clutch. i still fool around with the seating position and ive had the thing for 1.5 years. i guess its just something you'll get used to. ive taken many 3+ hour trips in my car, its very comfortable.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

I took a five hour road trip in my Z once, man did my *** hurt when I finally got there! They are comfy, but not five hours road trip comfy.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

im about 6'0, have my power seats slammed to the ground, with it tilted back a bit, i drive with my hand resting on my door handel holding the wheel at like 8 o clock and the other resting ont he shifter. The pedals are just something you need to adjust to really.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just test drove a Formula that I may be buying tomorrow and while driving it (M6), the top of my foot kept getting caught up above the plastic above the pedals?

Im only 5'11, and wear a size 10 1/2 so nothing too bizarree. Maybe it was just because it was my 1st time in an fbody?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

i'm 5'7 as well and have no problem driving mine. i have a hard time driving other vehicles after driving mine for a couple of years now.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

How's everybody opinion on the windshield reflection? I noticed that due to the sitting position, I have a lot of dash/dust reflected, somewhat impeding the view. I don't have any dash mats, just black painted dash board. It gets worse when it is sunny.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

I'm 6'0 200lbs, and have the seat all the way back, all the way down, and tilted some. My bro is about 5'10 150 in his Z28 and he sits right up on the steering wheel, I have to move the seat back before I can even get in his car.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by E V I L
I just test drove a Formula that I may be buying tomorrow and while driving it (M6), the top of my foot kept getting caught up above the plastic above the pedals?

Im only 5'11, and wear a size 10 1/2 so nothing too bizarree. Maybe it was just because it was my 1st time in an fbody?
I did the same when I went from my old 93 taurus to my camaro. What I would do more was catch my foot on the edge of the brake pedal since it sits a little closer than the gas pedal does but I got used to it pretty quickly.

Originally Posted by darom
How's everybody opinion on the windshield reflection? I noticed that due to the sitting position, I have a lot of dash/dust reflected, somewhat impeding the view. I don't have any dash mats, just black painted dash board. It gets worse when it is sunny.
I see mine some in the windshield but it doesn't bother me. Not nearly so much as all the scratches in the windshield.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

seat all the way back, right arm resting on the center console and left after at about 11,12, even 1 sometimes, im tilted back a little. Very comfortable car to drive in, IMO
Old 10-22-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 5'8 and don't have very long legs and I have the 4way manual seat.
I tilt the seat all the way back, Adjust it so I can kick the clutch to the floor then adjust the seat back to get comfortable reach for the steering wheel.
I found tilting the seat all the way back gives better support for my legs when working the clutch.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

seat decently back, leaned decently. Steering wheel all the way down, otherwise feels like your a truck IMO. Yea I get the bad glare off the dash, gotta wear some shades for that. As for the clutch, you gotta angle your foot to the left a little, that will take care of the problem. Also don't need to clutch down 100%, the clutch disengages almost right away, I usually depress 50%.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm 6' 2" and probably pushing the max height of the car. When I first bought it I was worried b/c my knees would kill me after a short drive. I lowered the seat all the way and gave some tilt and now I love the driving position!

No problem with window reflection for me.

Headroom isnt really a problem most of the time either :-)
Old 10-22-2007, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

I feel most comfortable in mine sitting with the seatback as far up as it goes, and up far enough so when I sit with both shoulders against the seat and put my arm straight out (above the steering wheel at 12 o'clock) the top of the wheel hits my forearm right behind my watch. I'm 5'10 200lbs, and have no problems that way.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

The 4th gen Fbody is fairly easy to adjust to. Steering tilts, seats adjust properly. Power seats are preferable since I can adjust mine to maintain control at all times. Long drives (8+ hours) or short ones have never resulted in comfort issues though I tend to not have passengers. Never had an issue with dash glare, just don't use ArmorAll or a shiny type cleaner on it.

Interesting side note: during the All Chevy Show in 2004, Scott Settlemire was looking at my car as it's 100% stock. I apologized for the marks in the carpet where the seat is always in the most forward position and he barked back "Its not a Barcalounger! You are supposed to be able to control it at all times!" (he can be rather animated).

Man, that had me cracking up but the conversation that ensued was the design is so you can have full control no matter what height you are. You'll get used to it fairly quickly.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea as we see its easy to adjust to so dont worry about it we have people here that are like 5'4 that love them and people like me who are 6'0 with a size 13 shoe and i have no problem with the pedals or the seat either.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm 6'3, weigh 274. No problems here. I don't even put the seat all the way back. I think these cars are very comfortable.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

im 6'2" and i look like a little kid cause all you can see is my head stickin over the door panel
Old 10-23-2007, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got my camaro in trade for same model of mercedes E class, jumping in the camaro from the mercedes, it was so horrably made in every way, and no matter how hard i tryed i could not get the seat in fairly comfortable position, i loved the car though.. not the first Fbody i've own, then i putted the camaro in storage and started modding it, and drove a 7series bmw during the winter,

when i started driving the camaro this summer.. it was so much better then i remembered, i love driving it, i realy do

it reminds me of my old muscle camaro.. but still it has the modern technique

Quick Reply: Hows your driving position?