New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cat delete for xpipe = meaningless air pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cat delete for xpipe = meaningless air pump?

The AIR system {Air Injection Reaction} "injects" air into the exhaust stream to improve the effeciency of the catalytic converter...Is that right? How does this really work? So if i'm wanting to go from kooks long tube headers into a custom x-pipe and delete that cat, (and now have the extra o2 sensor{s}) is the air pump no longer serving a purpose? I've read I can set the o2 sensor to "no report", so therefore an o2 sensor simulator wont be necessary (plus I read their unreliable), so i'm not worried about the sensor, just the pump. Have I gotten way off base or am I semi on track? Their is an actual pump for this process right!?!?!

I'm actually looking at buying a 99-02 camaro ss and i'm doing some mod research (habit) to make sure I go into my purchase with some knowledge. I've also got zero experience with anything high performance with more than 2 wheels so I apologize for my ignorance LoL. Any and all help is really appreciated! Thanks for your time

P.S. I used the search quit a lot and it was VERY helpful I just couldn't find an answer to my pump question. Thanks!!

Last edited by SSOTRUE; 10-27-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

your air pump becomes meaningless once you get offroad headers, and i took mine off even before i had headers. my rear o2's are just hanging there doing nothing, got the codes deleted. air pump is just for starting up the car anyway, once its warm they dont do any good
Old 10-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Teching In

yes there is an air injection pump for AIR system.. on ls1 camaro's (such as your 99 ss) the pump is right behind the driver side fog light.. its pretty easy to get to.. it pumps air into the exhaust ports (the front right and left ports) when the car is idling or if it is decelerating.. theres a hose going from the air cleaner assembly to the pump which creates suction to let the pump know the engine is accelerating.. if you're getting an aftermarket exhaust that eliminates the catalytic converter there is no purpose for the AIR system.. plus if you're getting aftermarket headers some of them dont have the connections for the system..

one other thing... your AIR system will set an SES code (like mine is and i cant find out y?!) but im gonna delete that system along with the 02 sensors...
Old 10-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome to now know, THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME GUYS! I really appreciate it!