Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with cooling fans

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with cooling fans

Hello. I have a 1998 Trans am. I have a slp fan switch that only works for the low speed.(it used to work for the high side) When i switch it to the high side the fans stay at low speed. I replaced all of the fan relays(3). Checked all the fuses(all good). I also fired the car up and turned on the a/c on max, that should kick the fans on for the high side. It didnt, they stayed on low speed. Do I need a new set of fans? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Dino
Old 11-04-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First thing I'd try is disconnect the SLP switch under the hood and plug the stock connectors back together - that'll tell you if it's from there to the switch. I have LEDs on mine and sometimes only get low speed fans when first turning the AC on, think it depends on the temperature. Don't think it's a fan motor problem if they're both running on low, something else is going on.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
First thing I'd try is disconnect the SLP switch under the hood and plug the stock connectors back together - that'll tell you if it's from there to the switch. I have LEDs on mine and sometimes only get low speed fans when first turning the AC on, think it depends on the temperature. Don't think it's a fan motor problem if they're both running on low, something else is going on.
Cool. I will give that a shot. I noticed it at the track when i couldnt get high side to kick on....At that time the water temp was about 210.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

I put the stock connectors back together, and turned on the a/c. No change on fan speed, still low speed. Ran the car temp up to 210 and tuned the a/c on, no change. I pluged the slp switch back in and set it to high side with the car at 210, no change still low speed.

Is a temp switch for the fans under the water pump that might be bad?
Old 11-05-2007, 06:22 AM
Staging Lane

Bump....