New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASP Pulley- alternator belt issues, please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASP Pulley- alternator belt issues, please help

Ok so twice now after my cam swap i have parked the car came back next day to start only to find the steering wheel really ard, i pop the ood and the long belt, i believe alternator belt is off, why is this happening? after i put it back on, it feels like there is good tension, it always seems to come off at te worst times, last nigt it was like mid 20's and i am outside te bar trying to put it on at 130 am, lol any help would be appreciated
Old 11-06-2007, 07:00 PM

also to add to the story, i had to drive the car home about 15 miles from te bar without the belt, so the car got pretty ott even though i was pulling over every 5 minutes to let it cool down, well get home throw the belt on, come out this morning and there is anti freeze on the ground, and now my "service engine soon" light is on, i am assuming it got so hott so it was coming out of the overflow tank, but whats with the service engine light?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Belt tensioner might be crapped out.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

You pissed off the LS1 Gods dude. Don't you ever drive that car again without the belt on it. Do you know how much money its gonna take to replace that motor if its screwed up? If you a got a belt that jumping off. Buy a new belt. Get the one at the Advance Store for $27 bucks. Its got a years warranty. Before you take off the belt get you a flashlite so you can see and check out the path of the belt. I had a bad idler pully. The one to the right of the water pump. You'll be able to see what isn't tracking straight. And if everythings tracking straight rev the motor up and watch the tensioner pulley it might be worn out. If not put the belt on. You've done everthing that you can. But put you a ratchet and a socket in the car just in case it ever happens again. It gets hot quick.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:45 PM

trust me man i know, with the aluminum block it was a bad idea, i mean i drove it just a bit ago, and everything seems fine, if something were wrong heads wise would i be able to notice?