Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine tore down, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engine tore down, now what?

ok, my car started knocking right after i changed the oil basically about a month ago. im a tech. apprentice so i have good resources and we narrowed it down to a cracked skirt or a wrist pin thats worn loose. well, it ended up being that my crank pulley was loose and rattling so i pulled an entire motor(out of the top)and tore it down to a shortblock and then found it(simple mistakes i know, ive kicked my own *** enough so i dont need any more harsh criticism!!!) ive been thinking about putting all new gaskets and just slammin it back together and selling it for a decent priced ls1 car, but ive been thinking, maybe i could rebuild it and throw a cam in it and just keep it b/c its basically a new car, but i cant make a decision on what to do. if i plan on selling it pretty soon, i wont throw money into it for no reason but if i keep it idk... btw it has 120k on it and it runs like a champ. when its at operating temp, oil pressure is at 40 and at wot it goes up, so im not reallyy experiencing a whole lot of blow-by. i dont know what to do!
thanks guys
Oh and btw, i have been wanting to run a small n20 setup and thats the main reason i dont know whether or not to sell it or not. like i said, the engine is super clean and runs great.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

well first decide if you want to keep the car or not. if you want to keep it i would do a rebuild on the engine just for reliability and extra performance. take it to a machine shop and have them go over the short block. atleast replace all the bearings and put some forged pistons and new rings in there incase you decide to run n20 through it later. maybe have the heads ported with bigger valves and springs and throw a healthy cam in there. not sure what kind of car you have. i am assuming its an lt1 since you were talking about upgrading to an ls1 car. if you do have an lt1 check out lloyd elliots H/C set-ups. you can make 400+rwhp with his h/c, a tune and bolt-ons.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

keep it, port it, cam it, spray it, enjoy it
Old 11-08-2007, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

LT1's can be built up to be decent runners..I had a Hotcam in mine and it put 335 to the Wheels through the A4.

If you know how to do it yourself, re-build it.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i can do it by myself. like i said its tore down to the shortblock, im just thinking, if its not broke why fix it.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GIVE EM' THE BIRD
yeah i can do it by myself. like i said its tore down to the shortblock, im just thinking, if its not broke why fix it.
Your not fixing it, your making it better.