New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the difference between a MS3 cam and a MS4 cam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Whats the difference between a MS3 cam and a MS4 cam?

Trying to decide which of the 2 cams I like better between the MS3 and the MS4. Which one makes more power? Which one is more driver friendly? Anyone with more info on both or either of the cams, please post.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TSP XS Series Camshaft:
Magic Stick V.3 237/242 .603/.609" Camshaft With Your Choice of Lobe Seperation.

The Magic Stick V3 camshaft is Texas Speed's premier LS1 camshaft! This camshaft has gone as fast as 10.50s n/a with stock heads in our 98 Z28 test car.
This camshaft features Comp Cams XER lobes! The XER lobes have been proven to make big horsepower & torque thanks to their aggressive ramp rates & healthy lift.

2300-6800 RPM Power Band with a peak around 6400rpm; This is an excellent performance camshaft with a rough idle! Custom tuning required

This camshaft typically gains approximately 55+rwhp!

All New Magic Stick 4 Camshaft!

Magic Stick V.4 239/242, .649"/.609" Camshaft With Your Choice of Lobe Seperation (111 LSA Standard)

The Magic Stick V4 camshaft is Texas Speed's premier LS1 camshaft!

The MS4 camshaft is the result of extensive engine dyno testing & research! Engine dyno results have shown over 80 horsepower gains with no other changes on a stock 2001 LS1 engine!!

2300-6800 RPM Power Band with a peak around 6400rpm; This is an excellent performance camshaft with a rough idle! Custom tuning and PRC dual valve spring kit required

This camshaft typically gains approximately 60+rwhp!

via: Texas-Speed.com

i would say they both make great power MS4 probly makes more but will need some strong *** springs, as the MS3 might be able to get away with comp 918's. ms3 might be alil more driveable, but when you order it just pick a higher LSA that will help. ANd driveability is alot in the tuning
Old 11-11-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Hey, thanks for the great info. It was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. The car will definatly be getting tuned when I go with either of the cams. What springs should I be looking for if I went with the MS4?
Old 11-11-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything that can handle the massive intake spring rate. Texas Speed has the complete kit for a good price. I have a MS3 coming and ordered the valvetrain kit straight from them. I think the Patriot Gold springs are good too though. Either cam can be made driveable, but you'll need a good tuner like kevin's00SS said. I don't think you'l see that much of a power difference unless you get a set of heads on top of the cam. Pretty sure the MS4 will make a make a little more in that scenario.
The following users liked this post:
a1tonecity (07-12-2020)
Old 11-11-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

I don't know about the "not making much power" comment. I believe just with bolt ons, and this cam I could easily see 410+ RWHP with a tune. LS1 heads already flow pretty decent from the factory. I'm sure better heads would equal more power, but to say the cam with full bolt ons won't make that much power difference is just not true.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's not what I meant, both cams will make about the same hp until you get a set of heads to help support the intake on the MS4. I'm expecting around 410ish when installed and a good tune, but in my scenario the LS1 intake is going to stop me and from making more.... for now. Stock heads are good, but aren't the best though. With a set of heads you'll be looking at another 45-50whp.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, but heads (good ones) are upwards of thousands, and all I really want is low to mid 400's at the wheels, so with full bolt ons and a nasty MS4 cam, I should be content.

I was thinking of a FAST intake over the stock one.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

I'm in your boat call911. I also have full bolt ons and I'm gonna be in the market for a cam really soon. Just posting to keep track of the replies. (not hijacking the thread)
Old 11-11-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the LS6 intake should even be good, but the Fast 90 is a good complement for just adding power in general. I was really thinking about getting the MS4 but got one hell of a deal on a MS3. You should still be able to crack 400 with the LS1 manifold with a good tune with either cam though. That is my goal for the moment, still have that good old 10 bolt to worry about for now
Old 11-14-2007, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

The LS6 intake will suit you just as good if not better than the 90/90 if low 400's is as high as you want to go with it. You're bitching about a set of heads costing so much, the 90/90 set up is around $1,100. Buy an LS6 intake for $350-$450 dollars and use the rest for a set of heads. As far as the MS4 goes, it is a max effort cam if you're going to be driving it around often I would go the MS3 between the two. With the high intake lift on that cam you're going to be changing out valvesprings more often. You can get a set of Stage 1 LS6 heads for $1,049 from TSP or set of Stage 2.5 5.3's for $1,200 completely assembled from TSP.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02WS6_TA
The LS6 intake will suit you just as good if not better than the 90/90 if low 400's is as high as you want to go with it. You're bitching about a set of heads costing so much, the 90/90 set up is around $1,100. Buy an LS6 intake for $350-$450 dollars and use the rest for a set of heads. As far as the MS4 goes, it is a max effort cam if you're going to be driving it around often I would go the MS3 between the two. With the high intake lift on that cam you're going to be changing out valvesprings more often. You can get a set of Stage 1 LS6 heads for $1,049 from TSP or set of Stage 2.5 5.3's for $1,200 completely assembled from TSP.
The MS4 cam (if you buy the kit) comes with new valvesprings ect., needed. I would love to put heads on the car, but again, I don't want to spend the extra amount needed for a good set. I have seen full bolt on cars with cams tuned at 420+ RWHP, which is easily capable of high 11's. This is just about perfect for what I want. Most people are not content with their HP levels, and always want more. My Z has all the power I need, and before it was supercharged it dyno'd at 420 at the wheels, and it ran just about exactly what I would like my Formula to run.

On a different topic, you mentioned the LS6 intake will give me just as much power as the FAST 90 would. Is that really true? I heard that the FAST is the intake for the most power, even over the LS6 intakes.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

The LS6 will do a great job with stock heads, but the FAST 90 will show it's true colors with a set of heads. There will be a small gain in between the 2 with stock heads. It definitely provides more air no doubt. All depends on your goals, if it's worth your while.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
The LS6 will do a great job with stock heads, but the FAST 90 will show it's true colors with a set of heads. There will be a small gain in between the 2 with stock heads. It definitely provides more air no doubt. All depends on your goals, if it's worth your while.
So which will provide more power gains? The LS6 intake or the FAST, and by how much?
Old 11-15-2007, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

There was a post not to long back that brought up the point that for N/A engines the LS6 will do you just as good as the FAST, the 90/90 setup is the way to go for F/I engines. The fast will yeild a couple horse at WOT at like 130+ mph over the LS6 intake. The FAST is the intake to go with if you are looking to squeeze out every little bit of power out of your car, but I just have better things to spend $1,100 on. It just wouldn't be worth it to me. I have a buddy that bought the MS4 package from TSP probably about 4 months ago, he came from a G5X2 cam only. It really is a beast no doubt about, but it really doesn't shine up until 6,200 rpm. The sight says it makes it's peak at 6,400 rpm. It did make 420 horse on the dyno but his ET's only picked up .7 at the track over the G5X2, it just took so long to really get into the meat of cam's power. He is on the verge of going and getting a smaller cam because it just wasn't worth it to him, this may be different to you I don't know. I wouldn't suggest spinning your engine past 6,500 rpm on a stock bottom end and that's exactly what you're going to have to do to get the full potential out of this cam. Without a set of heads you're really going to leave alot of power just laying out on the table with these cams, heads bring these things to life. You can hit around 420 horse with an MS3 with a few little things and still be more streetable if you do choose to take it out.

Last edited by 02WS6_TA; 11-15-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02WS6_TA
There was a post not to long back that brought up the point that for N/A engines the LS6 will do you just as good as the FAST, the 90/90 setup is the way to go for F/I engines. The fast will yeild a couple horse at WOT at like 130+ mph over the LS6 intake. The FAST is the intake to go with if you are looking to squeeze out every little bit of power out of your car, but I just have better things to spend $1,100 on. It just wouldn't be worth it to me. I have a buddy that bought the MS4 package from TSP probably about 4 months ago, he came from a G5X2 cam only. It really is a beast no doubt about, but it really doesn't shine up until 6,200 rpm. The sight says it makes it's peak at 6,400 rpm. It did make 420 horse on the dyno but his ET's only picked up .7 at the track over the G5X2, it just took so long to really get into the meat of cam's power. He is on the verge of going and getting a smaller cam because it just wasn't worth it to him, this may be different to you I don't know. I wouldn't suggest spinning your engine past 6,500 rpm on a stock bottom end and that's exactly what you're going to have to do to get the full potential out of this cam. Without a set of heads you're really going to leave alot of power just laying out on the table with these cams, heads bring these things to life. You can hit around 420 horse with an MS3 with a few little things and still be more streetable if you do choose to take it out.
I will probably be going with the LS6 intake over the FAST. A big cam is what I am looking for even though I am not planning on going with a set of heads. The power won't come on until higher RPM levels, and I am aware of that, but I don't plan on doing a lot suspension wise, and I want to be able to hook up on the street as well, so I think the MS4 cam will be the way I go. I don't really agree with the 6,500 RPM's damaging your bottom end though. Your bottom end should be fine RPM wise unless you are running into detonation issues. Its your TOP end that you should be concerned with when running those higher RPM's, and I plan on getting the MS4 kit that comes with the PRC dual valve springs, and hardened chormoly pushrods along with a new double roller chain to help support the higher reving.

Wheres the best place to get a great deal on an LS6 intake?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Parts Classifieds on here, they are always on here in the $350 range on average. I'm going to spin my motor to 6600-6800(it's the toy now, why not). Going to 6500 will be fine, i would have to agree. Going to wait and dynotune it and see where the power curve is to determine that for me. Don't forget to get a ported oil pump and lifters. Pretty sure you that already though. Ask Texas Speed about the LS7 lifters (hint hint)
Old 11-15-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The MS4 is better, DUH!~
Old 11-15-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Parts Classifieds on here, they are always on here in the $350 range on average. I'm going to spin my motor to 6600-6800(it's the toy now, why not). Going to 6500 will be fine, i would have to agree. Going to wait and dynotune it and see where the power curve is to determine that for me. Don't forget to get a ported oil pump and lifters. Pretty sure you that already though. Ask Texas Speed about the LS7 lifters (hint hint)
I called up Texas Speed today, and they said the MS4 cam will make peak power 6200-6400 RPM. I wasn't aware, nor did I hear anything about lifters. Whats the deal with the LS7 lifters or lifters in general?
Old 11-16-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pending on mileage, small (and I mean small) cams would be ok for stock lifters. Unfortunately both Magic Sticks are pretty big. The LS7 lifters will suffice with a bigger cam, stock LS7s make 505hp and spin to 7000rpm. They are extremely cheap compared to anything else on the market, I know Texas Speed has them and am getting them myself. I talked to em and told them that I was putting the MS3 into a 100,000+mile LS1 and would the LS7 lifters work with out a problem. I also asked about any fitment problems with them and nadda, they are good to go. That is with the MS3 though, MS4 has a lot higher intake rate. I would call them to confirm unless someone else knows if they will be ok
Old 11-16-2007, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

That's not what I meant, both cams will make about the same hp until you get a set of heads to help support the intake on the MS4. I'm expecting around 410ish when installed and a good tune, but in my scenario the LS1 intake is going to stop me and from making more.... for now. Stock heads are good, but aren't the best though. With a set of heads you'll be looking at another 45-50whp.
Upgrade the intake.

I installed an MS3 on a '98 Z28 (stalled A4) but still had the stock LS1 intake manifold. 343 rwhp. Added an LS6 manifold and an underdrive pulley, retuned: 385 rwhp. You should have seen the graphs. At higher RPM the LS1 intake choked the crap out of the MS3.

Quick Reply: Whats the difference between a MS3 cam and a MS4 cam?