Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune Up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune Up?

So what all exactly is done in a tune up and where are good universal places to take my car to get this done and what is a decent price to pay for one so I know Im not getting ripped off. And finally, is it possible and pretty doable to do it myself? Thanks!
Old 11-14-2007, 08:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you mean "tune up", which is general maintenance, then by all means you can do it yourself. This would consist of new plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, and maybe run some injector cleaner for a tank of fuel or so. I would also change all the fluids-engine oil and filter, rear gear oil, and fresh tranny fluid as well. None of these tasks are hard.

If you are talking about a "tune", that is totally different. That consists of reseting the parameters in your pcm. They would tweak your timing tables and get the a/f ratio optimum for your particular setup. You have to have software to do this, as well as the know how. Prices for this will vary according to the area you live in. Where I'm at you can get a tune for a stock or bolt-on car for around $150. Some places will cost you around $400+
Old 11-14-2007, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

You could probably do some yourself like changing the motor oil, air filter, radiator fluid, or maybe the fuel filter depending on your mechanical abilities. But lets face it, if you don't know what a tune up is you probably can't do it yourself!!! So just look for a decent shop or backyard mechanic that can hook u up for a decent price. Tranny oil, differential oil, spark plugs/wires, brake fluid, etc. should form part of your tune up as well.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

I guess thats what more I meant, I know what a tune up is, I guess I more meant a Tune, but thanks for yalls help!