Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASR on non optioned car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ASR on non optioned car?

Buddy of mine just bought a used 00 SS w/o ASR. He was messing with the stereo and noticed all the wiring and everything is there for the ASR, but no switch. He asked me to find out if he installed a switch, would he then have ASR? I'm pretty sure you need something on the rear diff for ASR which he probably doesn't have, but he's all worked up because he has the wiring. Just wanted to see what the definitive answer is, lol.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ASR requires a 4 channel ABS I think which non ASR cars did not get. I have the wiring on my car but I honestly prefer my right foot to be my asr.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I totally agree, I always hated ASR. Now with my 9" it's not an issue. But my friend is "different" hahaha. He's the kind of guy when he puts anything aftermarket on the car he has to save ALL the original bolts/parts and make sure all the hose clamps are just like they were before, etc... I'll pass the bad news onto him in the morning. I'm sure he'll be in denial and try anyways, lol.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Some cars have the Wiring in place for things that they don't have. My 1995 Camaro was a OBDI car and had all the Wiring inplace for the OBDII setup..helped with the swap.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

His rear is a 3 channel and even if he put the switch in it wouldn't work unless he got himself a 4 channel.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:43 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

People who do not have it always say "I don't need it, I have my right foot." It's nice to have it and not need it vs. you need it and don't have it.

All the LS1's have the wiring there. One kind of car, one set of wires for the whole car. Just like the 12-disc changer in the trunk, or the T/A seats have another hot wire for the lumbar air pump, the wires are there.
Now he can't just slap a switch there becuase he has a 3-channel ABS, 1 for each front = 2, and 1 on top of axle pumpkin. The ABS gear is mounted behind the ring gear in the axle.
The ASC/TSC cars have 4 channel ABS which again 1 for each front = 2, and one for each axle mounted just behind the rear caliper.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i don't have ASR but i sure do have the button . . . if someone is ever unsure if their car came with it or not just go to your local chevy dealership and they'll print you out every option your car came with, plus any work a GM dealership has ever done to it and the location, month and year of the sale at the GM dealership