Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitto drag radials

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitto drag radials

I was thinking about getting the nitto 555r drag radials on my ss....if I can get some feedback on these tires i'd apreciated...
Old 11-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Launching!

they are better than steet tires but there are better tires out get some mickey thompson et street radials they are alot better but if dont have the money for them right now then the 555's are ok but ive races camaros and cobras on those and i still beat them on street tires
Old 11-25-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they are a lot better than any street tire, better tread life than other drag radials, and they arent to bad in the rain.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

The MT ET's a tad bit more expensive, but I haven't heard too much about them as far performance. Two choices as far as DR's goes are the Nitto's or the BF Goodrich. The Nitto's are going to provide more street life than the BF's, and the BF's are stickier than the Nitto's but have shittier tread life. As far as mine once they are warmed up they grab, if I spin them cold I can roll them through first and second. After a small warm-up spin they'll spin in first on the street and bog the engine down in second and take off. I like them, but mines mainly for the street. If you want straight ETs than I would go BF's if you run on the street than Nitto's are my choice.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02WS6_TA
The MT ET's a tad bit more expensive, but I haven't heard too much about them as far performance. Two choices as far as DR's goes are the Nitto's or the BF Goodrich. The Nitto's are going to provide more street life than the BF's, and the BF's are stickier than the Nitto's but have shittier tread life. As far as mine once they are warmed up they grab, if I spin them cold I can roll them through first and second. After a small warm-up spin they'll spin in first on the street and bog the engine down in second and take off. I like them, but mines mainly for the street. If you want straight ETs than I would go BF's if you run on the street than Nitto's are my choice.
i agree with him
Old 11-25-2007, 08:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stoverz28
they are a lot better than any street tire, better tread life than other drag radials, and they arent to bad in the rain.
That's a good generalization.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

theyre good until you start making serious power. id go with something stickier but im afraid of breaking my rear again. they need to be heated up big time to work right.

nittos are very good in wet weather as long as they have tread.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone here use all 3 or just saying what you've heard? I have... I like my MTs the best. I've noticed that the BFGs don't wear much worse(if any) than the nittos but they do work better and I have driven them in the rain without issue. And driven in the snow. I know I'm hardcore but I used to rock DRs all the time daily driven. The snow sucked though in my BFGs I never drove the Nittos in the snow and I probably won't buy nittos again to try it. I may have to drive my MTs in the snow because you never know out here. My mickeys sit inside now I started getting tired of buying new tires every few months. s

I personally like the BFGs better than the Nittos. But my next set will be another set of mickey thompsons. If mileage isn't a concern go with the MTs, or buy another set of wheels and do what I do
Old 11-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Launching!

no i never ran drag radials but the MT for traction jus but another set wheels thats what i did and i jus drive around on just a set of falkens
Old 11-25-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ms4z28
no i never ran drag radials but the MT for traction jus but another set wheels thats what i did and i jus drive around on just a set of falkens
x2 but I have toyos lol. It's 5 minutes of work to change wheels. And you don't have to worry about airing down and up. It's just a better deal and you save money over the long run.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Driving on the M/Ts in the rain are down right scary. Anything over 40mph on the interstate and the rear end is fishtailing. If its a street car that you daily drive get the nitto 555rs
Old 11-25-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

89 turbo TA
nitto 245-50-16
1.46 60'
126mph
very satisfied,Lca's,adj.panhard &3.27 gears
Old 11-25-2007, 10:10 PM
12 Second Club

I've never run Nitto's but I've had both the BFG's and MT's. I don't drive my car everyday and don't drive it in the rain or snow. It's just a weekend cruiser and goes to the track a couple times a month. The BFG's didn't last long at all, just barely got one season out of them. The MT's on the other hand are sticker, don't need to be heated up as much to to get them to stick and I've got two seasons of use out of them. IMO, MT's are the way to go.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
theyre good until you start making serious power. id go with something stickier but im afraid of breaking my rear again. they need to be heated up big time to work right.

nittos are very good in wet weather as long as they have tread.
yeah haeted big time
Old 11-26-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LiT1_up
I've never run Nitto's but I've had both the BFG's and MT's. I don't drive my car everyday and don't drive it in the rain or snow. It's just a weekend cruiser and goes to the track a couple times a month. The BFG's didn't last long at all, just barely got one season out of them. The MT's on the other hand are sticker, don't need to be heated up as much to to get them to stick and I've got two seasons of use out of them. IMO, MT's are the way to go.
I'll admit the BFGs did need to be heated before they worked well while the mickeys need just a little spin. But we are talking about a daily driven app and the mickeys will get chewed up quick. I daily drove on a few sets of BFGs and nittos. I just thought the BFGs bit a little harder and lasted close to the same amount of miles. Of course if I got 5000 miles out of a set of tires I was obviously taking it too easy.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:31 AM
12 Second Club

it all depends, i'm running et streets on the stockers for strip only and getting some nittos for my dd
Old 11-26-2007, 02:39 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stoverz28
Thats a pretty not so smart thing to say. I had the 315/35/17 555r's on my 02 SS back in the cam/bolt-on days and could never get them to stick. I cut better 60' times with regular 275/40/17 Nittos. There are a lot of 'street' tires out there better than Nitto's drag radial, they may have better tread life, but only because they are a harder compound and don't stick, and they suck in the rain.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

im gonna go with the nitto 555r's!! my car is all street and its never gonna see the track. but i heard of a few horror stories with drag radials in the rain. so im wondering how other tires like toyos, and such would hook up just as good as nittos on the street but still be safer in the rain and higher speeds.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:45 AM
Launching!

i love my nittos!! Grip way better than my kuhmos..
Old 11-26-2007, 05:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I've been running the nittos for awhile now 2.5 years, they need to be changed obviously but if you can control your foot, they'll last quite awhile. As far as street tires hooking better than nittos, the guy posted up top a 1.46 60', I hit 1.7 with them and have seen people hit 1.5 with them, show me a street tire that will hook like that.

Quick Reply: Nitto drag radials