New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Camaro Clear Coner Install Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 02 Camaro Clear Coner Install Help!!!

I just purchased some clear corners for my 02 Camaro SS. I tried to install them yesterday, but I can't seem to get the stock corners out of their housing. And yes, I unscrewed all the screws It seems to be wedged.
Please tell me there is a way without taking off the entire bumper!!!

Thanks for any advice,
Brad
Old 11-19-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is a total pain in the *** getting them out I had to use a little force and bend the bumper a little to get them out. Maybe put the car in the sun and try when it hot so the polyurethane is more flexible??? I got them out and back in without removing the whole bumper.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Teching In

HMMMM, Thanks, I'll try that. The frame where the bumper and the fender meet is what is getting in my way....didn't want to do it, but prob wouldn't hurt if bent it a little....but I REALLY don't want to do that!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i remember trying to get mine in and out, it sucked so much because they were only hung up by like a quarter inch on the wheel side.

IIRC they get stuck on like a styrofoam piece. i think if you just get a dremel in there you can make it alot easier on yourself getting them in and out. theres really not much material to move anyway
Old 11-19-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 52172
it is a total pain in the *** getting them out I had to use a little force and bend the bumper a little to get them out. Maybe put the car in the sun and try when it hot so the polyurethane is more flexible??? I got them out and back in without removing the whole bumper.
+1, That's how I always do it and I got real good at it because my clears kept getting water in them.

Make sure you use plenty of silicone to seal where the plug goes into the housing. Any little leak there you'll get water in them and you'll be taking them back out to dry them out.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Spink
+1, That's how I always do it and I got real good at it because my clears kept getting water in them.

Make sure you use plenty of silicone to seal where the plug goes into the housing. Any little leak there you'll get water in them and you'll be taking them back out to dry them out.
my first one's fate was small cracks . . . used too much force. got new ones in and they don't leak at all but still had too use some force to do it
Old 11-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Launching!

i broke a little bit off the yellow's to get them out with some force but the clears went in good with some push after that so you should be good man
Old 11-19-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Why did GM make it so hard to get to these lights?!?! Changing the bulbs even sucks.

Last edited by foreverzero; 11-19-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

I took out the corners last night to reinstall the stock orange lights... The clears are cheesy looking. Unless you have the right color car, they do not look good. Most certainly NOT worth the time.

I started by removing the head light (10 mins tops) and then with a lot of force and cursing, the corners came out. There are three main retainer bolts and then the thing becomes loose. You might have to loosen or remove the bolt that holds the bumper and fender together. I had to do this on both sides.

Good luck.
-Dan
Old 11-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Default Question

Originally Posted by Spink

Are you refering to where that little hose comes out for a vent, or where the lights plug in?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Launching!

It's not that hard, definitely don't bend the fender area. Just force the old ones out, it's harder to get them out than the new ones in. I put a bead of silicone around the whole seam of the new lights, and they haven't leaked since. I did not put it where the bulb goes in.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Great, this has been a big help!!! I hope I can find a way to squeez them out, but it sounds like the new ones will go in without too much trouble. I just don't want to ruin my stock lights just in case.

Thanks for all your help!
Brad
Old 11-20-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I personally didnt have any problems getting the stockers out. Just remove the headlights to gain easy access to the corners. Its just a matter of pushing and pulling the lens out the right way. Take your time and they should come out.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BeachBrad
Are you refering to where that little hose comes out for a vent, or where the lights plug in?
Where the bulb plugs in at. Cover that plug with a good amount of silicone where it is flush against the housing. If you notice the stock ones the bulb fits very tightly but on most of the aftermarket ones that seal there isn't near as good and water will get in if you don't completely seal it right there.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

I did mine several times because of leaks and the best advice I have is silicone ANY seam or opening. and all you need to do is undo a couple of the screws from the bottom corner access panel pull it back stick your arm up in there and you need to push up on the backside of the lens about 1/4 inch then slightly twist them up and out once you force the first one off you will see how they wedge in there
Old 11-21-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

wow

changing mine were so easy and simple i thought gm had at least got 1 thing down half *** ok

glad now i just didnt run into any problems like you did