New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**New Member** I have got alot to learn...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **New Member** I have got alot to learn...

Alright whats up guys!

Names Steve!

I own a 02 35th Aniverssary SS!

Right off the bat, i wanna know what are the best Bolt-on mods that can be done! without to much modification that would increase the hp numbers nicely?

Also is there anything i should be on the look out for? Any defects? Etc?

PLS guys help me out! I wanna make my car quicker! I wanna do it RIGHT!

PLS HELP! Thanks looking forward to chattin an meetin some of you!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:58 AM
11 Second Club

Every new guy always ask this question.

Mods depend on how you plan on driving the car and your budget. Start reading all the posts on here. Start with the stickys. You said it yourself " I have got to learn". This is the best place to start reading up.

If you have an A4 this is what I would do. Gears and a converter. This will make your car so much quicker. This is a great start. You can read up on the other mods along the way.

Happy modding.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:59 AM

CAI/lid and full exhaust would be my 1st mods. You'll see a huge improvement and what he said ^^ another good idea.

I'm a corvette guy so I'm not sure what brands people are buying these days for the f-bodys. I'm sure somebody will chime in.

Welcome to ls1tech.com
Old 11-21-2007, 04:12 AM
TECH Resident

Welcome to the site.

Good first mods are exhaust, a lid, and gears (if it's an auto). If it's an M6 car, just wait until you can afford a better rear end.

Personally, I'd wait on a stall. If you buy a 2500 stall now, you might be kicking your own *** later when you want a 4000 stall for your big heads/cam combo.

As it's been said... Speed is an addiction for which the only cure is bankruptcy. It's much easier if you lay out a pheasable plan for your modding. That way you don't end up buying the same type of part more than once.

Me... I just upgrade things when they break or wear out. In about a week, I should be well into the 11's... lol.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:25 AM
TECH Addict

Well first of all welcome aboard!

Secondly you should start by learning everything you can about your car. What it has, doesn't have and what you want it to have. Here are some stickies to get you started:

Start with this one. List of FAQ's- https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/213148-jrp-s-faq-commonly-asked-questions.html

Get your SLP build number here - https://ls1tech.com/forums/special-edition-vehicles/615652-camaro-ss-firehawk-comp-t-production-build-numbers.html

Once you have your build number add it to the list here - https://ls1tech.com/forums/removed-locked-thread-graveyard/538097-list-ss-build-numbers.html

Add yourself to the official mileage thread- https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/645337-official-odometer-mileage-thread.html

Get your build date and GM claim history here- https://ls1tech.com/forums/removed-locked-thread-graveyard/679838-new-thread-build-dates-gm-claim-history.html

So you wanna be fast? Start with these mods- https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/361959-so-you-wanna-fast.html

Lastly.......
Old 11-23-2007, 03:53 PM

Thank you so much guys!

What is lid? Im comin from the Import scene! I owned a 93RS as my first vehicle, an i wanted another camaro! So i bought this one! Ill get pics ASAP..

PLS keep the good info coming! Thanks
Old 11-23-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 35thAniverSS
Thank you so much guys!

What is lid? Im comin from the Import scene! I owned a 93RS as my first vehicle, an i wanted another camaro! So i bought this one! Ill get pics ASAP..

PLS keep the good info coming! Thanks
A lid is the air box that goes over your air filter:
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...2420027e264ee3

If you are at all interested in handling, the first thing you should do is pick up a set of good shocks (Koni or revalved bilstiens by stranoparts.com). The stock shocks are by far the weakest link suspension wise. You will fall in love with the car all over again.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:13 PM

Thank you for that advice! Ill be lookin into it!

Best lid chocie? Intake choice? Exhaust Choice? Suspension? Stall? TQ conver? Gears?
Old 11-23-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 35thAniverSS
Thank you for that advice! Ill be lookin into it!

Best lid chocie? Intake choice? Exhaust Choice? Suspension? Stall? TQ conver? Gears?
Welcome to the darkside, nice to convert another ricer!
Most everyone here will say a lid is a lid is a lid
but most of us have SLP or MTI, intake is highly debated on this site, LS6 is def bang for your buck ($350ish), the fast 90/90 combo (90mm intake and 90mm throttle body)is much more expensive(i wanna say about 1200 for combo) but will yeld a better result if you are doing heads and cam, exhaust is more about personal taste in sound, some say slp's loudmouth 1 and 2's are too raspy . Personally I loved my lm1, hooker headers, 0ry(off road Y pipe(means no cats)), and a slp lm exhaust will wake er up pretty good if you mix the intake and lid.And dont forget a good dyno tune with those mods!!!( i do hope you meant intake manifold and not cold air intake tube LOL
as far as stall and gears you're gonna have to ask a a4 (automatic 4 speed) guy i'm a m6 (manual 6 speed) man my self
there is also a Sticky about abreviations on here you might wanna read over so you know what people are talking about
Good Luck and welcome to a real car!!!
Old 11-23-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
If it's an M6 car, just wait until you can afford a better rear end
you can say that again! I have a m6 and ive been through about 5 rear ends! It sucks but a4 gears, catback, STALL !

Last edited by txh0tb0i972; 11-24-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:26 PM
Launching!

ya i think u should with some slp long tube headers x-pipe and 2 mufflers and get a true dual 3 inch exhaust. then get an under drive pulley ls6 intake manifold and a ported throttle body dont worry about a MAF cencor you dont need a bigger one and go find a guy that does a good dyno tune on the ls1 cars ull gane some good power, then some gears and slicks and that will be good until u get ready for heads and cam kit
Old 11-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Launching!

o and do have an automatic or a manual if u have and auto go with like a 4200 stall and a manual go with either a stage 2 or an ls7 with ls2 flywheel which is wat i have an ls7
Old 11-23-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ms4z28
o and do have an automatic or a manual if u have and auto go with like a 4200 stall and a manual go with either a stage 2 or an ls7 with ls2 flywheel which is wat i have an ls7
Originally Posted by ms4z28
ya i think u should with some slp long tube headers x-pipe and 2 mufflers and get a true dual 3 inch exhaust. then get an under drive pulley ls6 intake manifold and a ported throttle body dont worry about a MAF cencor you dont need a bigger one and go find a guy that does a good dyno tune on the ls1 cars ull gane some good power, then some gears and slicks and that will be good until u get ready for heads and cam kit
Ok dude number one you really need to work on your spelling
Number two EVERYONE knows SLP headers are not worth the money and they have HORRIBLE clearance
SLP's MAF made a feelable diff for me and its not cause it got me more air, it leaned the car out
depending on the mods you're going to do that may not be the best choice for everyone but for someone doing bolt on's only it will help

spelling errors: wat=what, gane=gain, cencor=sensor
not trying to sound like a dick
but you sound like a caveman the way you type, i hope you dont talk like that
Old 11-24-2007, 01:13 AM
11 Second Club

Man don't worry about it! U from the valley so we can u hook up down here! U new on the valley fbodies forum too right???
Old 11-24-2007, 02:51 AM

^^ Yes sir...

Well im itching to mod this bish! So ima look into some awesme parts!

Another thing that will help is Links to websites to the best parts @! LOL

Thanks so much guys! Im takin in all this help an trust me ill make all LS1 owners proud
Old 11-24-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

Welcome to the site and enjoy the car. You are starting in the right place. The best advice I have is to start reading. As far as I know, this is the best site for technical information for our cars. As far as web sites for parts, just look to the sponsor list on the right.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would recommend you get a shaner throttle body! I have the s3 and love it to death it made a big difference in my car!
Old 11-24-2007, 04:43 PM

Thank you for that kind sir..

Ill keep reading! Thanks for all the info guys! Keep it coming..
Old 11-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99HorseSlayer
Ok dude number one you really need to work on your spelling
Number two EVERYONE knows SLP headers are not worth the money and they have HORRIBLE clearance
SLP's MAF made a feelable diff for me and its not cause it got me more air, it leaned the car out
depending on the mods you're going to do that may not be the best choice for everyone but for someone doing bolt on's only it will help

spelling errors: wat=what, gane=gain, cencor=sensor
not trying to sound like a dick
but you sound like a caveman the way you type, i hope you dont talk like that
What are you the spelling police? It seems like every thread I open, you are correcting somebody about their spelling or grammar...

Oh and by the way, if you are going to get on somebody for their grammar, you might want to make sure you aren't jacked up yourself.

Sentences end with periods, explanation points, and question marks. You chose to use none. A comma was left out of a few places where you should have used them. Oh and lastly, I could be wrong but I don't think you need an appostrophy for bolt ons. Get off your bandwagon. He asked for advice, not an english class. Don't bother telling us about your extended education because we don't care. We are here to talk cars, and that's it.

Ok, I am off my soap box...

I can only agree with everybody that has posted advice on first mods. I would get an LS6 intake, LT (long tube) headers, and choose a good exhaust that you like. There are plenty of sound clips on this site of what people have used. I am sure you will find a set up you like. For mods, I usually search the videos, track times, dyno #'s, and sound clips to pick what I want. If I see something I like on somebody else's car, I want it on mine. Good luck and happy modding! Where are the pics??
Old 11-27-2007, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

thankyou!