New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lifter noise ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy lifter noise ?

I have a 98 LS1 from 99 firebird-low miles 75m .It runs great except you never know when the lifters and rockers are going to sound off really loud! It does not seem to be oil pressure related since it has done it both hot and cold-high and low oil pressure. It is not rod knock or piston slap.I have built a lot of gen 1 350's and it sounds just like rockers out of adjusment or lifter not pumped up. But it comes and goes and since the rockers and the lifters are not easily acessible, I would like some ideas before I start pulling it apart!!
Old 11-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Banned

Do a search here you'll be suprised.
My '02 had the problem at 25,000 miles, 3000 miles after I got it.
The dealer replaced the lifters under warranty, the noise came back in a few days. Then all of a sudden the dealer says the noise is normal. Now at 42,000 a few track passes, it still makes the same noise, not better, not worse.
Thats the same thing I thought--it sounds just like a gen 1 with loose rockers. it does it hot, cold, sometimes it'll go away but not for long.
Heres an AVI clip of the noise http://www.jayscarsite.homestead.com/files/IMAG0023.AVI
Old 11-25-2007, 07:45 PM

Default lifters??

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Do a search here you'll be suprised.
My '02 had the problem at 25,000 miles, 3000 miles after I got it.
The dealer replaced the lifters under warranty, the noise came back in a few days. Then all of a sudden the dealer says the noise is normal. Now at 42,000 a few track passes, it still makes the same noise, not better, not worse.
Thats the same thing I thought--it sounds just like a gen 1 with loose rockers. it does it hot, cold, sometimes it'll go away but not for long.
Heres an AVI clip of the noise http://www.jayscarsite.homestead.com/files/IMAG0023.AVI
Thanks for the reply. Did you just blow it off and not worry about it? What does dealer say is the "normal" cause for this ridiculous noise. It's embarrasing when you go to a cruise-in and every one looks at you until you shut it off! I lie and say it's a really big solid lifter cam!!
Old 11-27-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

I noticed it right away on my 1998 z28, it sounds just like my last car did with a stuck lifter or 2.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Launching!

this is gonna sound dumb as hell...

check your header bolts. i thought my lifters went bad and so did numerous ls1 guys and many mechanics, ordered 1000 dollars worth of cam, lifters, pushrods etc etc and turned out it was a header bolt...and now im made fun still 5 monthes later
Old 11-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Launching!

dont listen to the dealer, BOB STEEL CHEVEROLET TOLD ME THAT IT IS COMMON THAT THE LOBES ON THE LS1 WEAR OFF...and when i questioned them and said i never heard of such a thing they said they just did 3 in the last 2 monthes.

AND GUESS WHAT IT IS NOT COMMON AT ALL..THEY WANT YOUR MONEY THATS IT.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bill Grimm
Thanks for the reply. Did you just blow it off and not worry about it? What does dealer say is the "normal" cause for this ridiculous noise. It's embarrasing when you go to a cruise-in and every one looks at you until you shut it off! I lie and say it's a really big solid lifter cam!!
Yup I just said screw it, I can't put a gun to their head and say make it go away.
I knew it was a problem when my mom said the cars making a funny noise, and a few other people who don't know anything about cars.

Funny thing is, I've asked people at car shows etc if they ever had any problems with noise and they say no. Then I hear them start their cars up and I hear the same noise.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:32 PM

what makes the noise from the header bolt? Loose rattle or exhaust leaking/ It has street and performance coated block hugger headers! help me out a little more info!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Banned

Header noise is going to get louder during acceleration. If you have an automatic you can powerbrake it without spinning the tires for a second and see if the noise gets louder, that would be an exhaust leak. The sound clip of my car was 100% stock, now the exhaust has been redone, headers all the way back, and the noise my car makes has not changed at all.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Launching!

Actually I have had the same issue with mine since I got it. It chatters like crazy. I'll be watching this thread to see if someone figures it out because it drives me nuts.

I guess the best cure is a new valvetrain and a cam.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Its not uncommon for LSX motors to have noisy lifters...I dont like it one bit though and Im changing mine out here soon, my moms sounds the same way, my friends dads Z sounds the same way and even my brothers 5.3L truck has one that ticks...mine was that way when I bought it with 49XXX miles and now has 82XXX with no problems but Im not going to chance it much longer. I was recommend GM Race Caddie Lifters...you can get them from speed inc, or some LS7 lifters.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ls1s are notorious for loud drivetrains... mine makes alot of noise and everyone around me says dude it sounds like you have valve problems... but i had the top end apart and looked at and everything is perfect... they are just loud something we gotta live wiht
Old 11-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Launching!

I really can't stand the ticking noise though, drives me nuts, sounds like a ticking time bomb .
Old 11-29-2007, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

my '00 t/a only does it during cold start up. Almost sounds like a diesel

clack clack clack clack. Give it a little bit to warm up and it goes away.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Teching In

I started to have a faint lifter(s) noise in my 01 SS at 30,000 miles but it was never loud and it sounded like all of them were doing it ... of course it bothered me at first then I came to enjoy it as it was good way to be informed of the *health* of the internals.

You can always use the 'ol stick method to listen to sounds.

Just get yourself a nice wood closet dowel ... ya know .. the kind that your clothes hang on.

Cut it to about 2 ft length. Then go around with your ear on one end and the other end placed on a specific area of all your components with the motor running.

Any obnoxious sound like a grinding sound will inform you that something serious is going on.

I eventualy invested in a stethoscope which is even better.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Yea, my 99 T/A is the same way, its louder when i first crank it up, but it never completely goes away.
Being that I have only had the car a month or so, I thought something was wrong with it, had the heads checked out, still a little noise, but mechanics say thats normal for a GM.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SLOW30th-TA
Yea, my 99 T/A is the same way, its louder when i first crank it up, but it never completely goes away.
Being that I have only had the car a month or so, I thought something was wrong with it, had the heads checked out, still a little noise, but mechanics say thats normal for a GM.
Yup. Mine does it on cold starts than it completely goes away after driving like 10 seconds. Every LS1 car i've heard has that ticking during cold starts. I've never worried about it.

CLACK CLACK CLACK F-T-W!