Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Stuck Thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Stuck Thermostat?

Now that its winter, I'm starting to think my thermostat is possibly stuck open. If I start the car and drive it at 60 mph at 30 degrees outside, it takes roughly 10 miles before the needle gets anywhere close to 210. Now granted the temp gauge is worthless in this car, but I'm fairly sure if its no where near 210, your still fairly cool. This is also my first aluminum engine so I thought maybe it just takes longer to heat up due to aluminum transferring the heat out faster. I just know my old v6 00 firebird heated up in half the time with its iron block. Anyway, I'm just curious if thats typical of this car to take that long to warm up or if I need to go grab a thermostat.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eh...does your car overheat at stop lights?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Several ways to check. Does the heater throw hot air? You can remove the radiator cap when the engine is "COOL", DO NOT do this when it is hot, and check the coolant temp directly with a thermometer as the engine warms up. Also after the engine has warmed up stop and let it idle for a while. If it cools back down the thermostat isn't closing.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Teching In

I'd not thought of that HDN. Makes perfect sense though. Sounds like a plan. I'll try that out tomorrow. Thanks alot man.

Quick Reply: Possible Stuck Thermostat?