New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth getting just flowmaster muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Worth getting just flowmaster muffler?

Is it worth just getting the flowmaster 80 series muffler, i just want it to sound good i dont think the car will be slower with just the muffer instead of catback let alone they dont flow good so i hear/read on all these sites. I would buy some tips and keep stock piping. It would save some money that the catback isnt probly worth right? thanks just want opinions.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They sound better, thats about it. I have one with LT's/ORY and I love the sound. Very muscle car.

EDIT: I don't really worry about the 5 hp it robs from me because I love the sound. I'm getting an electric cutout for when I wanna be loud and free flowing
Old 12-15-2007, 04:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
Is it worth just getting the flowmaster 80 series muffler, i just want it to sound good i dont think the car will be slower with just the muffer instead of catback let alone they dont flow good so i hear/read on all these sites. I would buy some tips and keep stock piping. It would save some money that the catback isnt probly worth right? thanks just want opinions.
If you just want a better sound then it's definatly worth it.
But IMO i would do a catback and pick up about 8-10 rwhp along with a better exhaust note.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
They sound better, thats about it. I have one with LT's/ORY and I love the sound. Very muscle car.

EDIT: I don't really worry about the 5 hp it robs from me because I love the sound. I'm getting an electric cutout for when I wanna be loud and free flowing
You will love the sound with the cutout just nasty and loud love it
Old 12-15-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really think the sound is all that great. Better than a loudmouth, but not by much.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Teching In

For a better than stock sound, flowmasters or flowtech are both really good choices. I like flowtechs cause you can really get the same sound as a flowmaster but for a little cheaper. If you looking for a realativly cheap way to boost some hp though, I would spend the money and get a Cat-Back SLP system. Even with the stock exhaust manifolds, your still looking at around a 10-12 hp gain, but id look in to the flowtechs man!!
Old 12-15-2007, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

electric cut out for the win. this way you have the best of both worlds- a car that will be nice and loud when you want to scare people and when need be, a quiet car to not attract any unwanted attention
Old 12-15-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I just want it to sound louder when i cruise, i wanted dual tips and flowmaster doesnt have that so i figure i would save enough money buy getting the muffler i can get some nicer tips? But I can do a catback myself but would doing the muffler alone be harder because you gotta cut more and line it up and hope the muffler is the same width?
Old 12-16-2007, 05:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It wouldn't be harder, it would still be easier. You'll just have to make a couple minor cuts, and then just get a couple exhaust clamps you can pick up anywhere like Napa for cheep. Either way weather you go with a catback or a muffler, you're still going to have to get it lined up to your liking.

If you are looking for a cheep way of getting a better sounding exhaust, I would say go for it. If you are looking for more power, you really need to buy a whole catback system to see any kind of significant gains.

If you are interested, I currently have the Flowmaster muffler on my Formula. I will be getting a new catback system for it soon, and I will be selling the Flowmaster muffler for cheep (probably like $25+ shipping).
Old 12-16-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

just wanted to tell u if ur interested, i have some the 80 series for sale. tips and pipes are already welded on. pm me if ur interested.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

Dynomax ultraflow and Magnaflow will sound better and flow better for just a muffler swap.

Flowmaster is too raspy and drones too much inside the car for my taste. Dynomax is deeper and doesn't drone/rasp as much.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kinda like the flowmaster sound... just wish it didn't rob performance.

Though it's a moot point for me now since I've got true duals.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

I did the flowmaster 80 series on my old LT1. Just the muffler on stock pipe, and it sounded great. But the thing is it cost me in the end what their catback system would have, and their cat back has 3'' pipe over the stock pipe. I would personaly try and find a good deal here on a cat back. I got the SLP Loudmouth 2 and I love it. But with an ORY and headers Im sure it will be loud as hell.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by silverTA2002
Dynomax ultraflow and Magnaflow will sound better and flow better for just a muffler swap.

Flowmaster is too raspy and drones too much inside the car for my taste. Dynomax is deeper and doesn't drone/rasp as much.
... +1
Old 12-18-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The thing is i want it to be louder then stock, thats why i wont get the hooker cuz i wont be able to get headers for AWHILE!!! I also like the sound of the flowmaster, i think it doesnt sound as raspy as most catbacks, like magnaflow farts when you shift! But im scared that if i just get the muffler would it rasp more then getting the complete catback? what about the pypes 4inch catback with the flowmaster i think thats the one i seen too, anyways anyone have and like the pypes one?? I figure the flowmaster cant be worse then stock huh? thanks.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing is i want it to be louder then stock, thats why i wont get the hooker cuz i wont be able to get headers for AWHILE!!! I also like the sound of the flowmaster, i think it doesnt sound as raspy as most catbacks, like magnaflow farts when you shift! But im scared that if i just get the muffler would it rasp more then getting the complete catback? what about the pypes 4inch catback with the flowmaster i think thats the one i seen too, anyways anyone have and like the pypes one?? I figure the flowmaster cant be worse then stock huh? thanks.
it's honestly not a big deal. It will be deeper, and cannot see it getting raspy with factory exhaust otherwise. do it, it's cheap.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get Loudmouth. That was going to be one of my next mods if I had kept the WS6! I considered Loudmouth on my Cobra, but the MAC exhaust sounds great! Plus, I am really not sure if the Loudmouth would sound as good on a 4.6 as it does on that 5.7! Those engines sound fantastic with the right exhaust.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hepcatws6
Get Loudmouth. That was going to be one of my next mods if I had kept the WS6! I considered Loudmouth on my Cobra, but the MAC exhaust sounds great! Plus, I am really not sure if the Loudmouth would sound as good on a 4.6 as it does on that 5.7! Those engines sound fantastic with the right exhaust.
I have never heard a loudmouth I liked.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Loudmouth is too loud and raspy! Im not trying to get pulled over im trying to have nice sounding exhaust for cheap . Now does the catback have bigger outlets then if i got the replacement muffler? I want the deep louder then stock sound, but not crazy loud i guess. thanks.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Loudmouth is too loud and raspy! Im not trying to get pulled over im trying to have nice sounding exhaust for cheap . Now does the catback have bigger outlets then if i got the replacement muffler? I want the deep louder then stock sound, but not crazy loud i guess. thanks.
Its not raspy on a car with cats. I have it, I know. It sounds way better than my flowmaster LT1 ever did.

Quick Reply: Worth getting just flowmaster muffler?