New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Exhaust for 04 GTO

Old 12-15-2007, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Best Exhaust for 04 GTO

Greetings All, this is my first post on LS1tech.

Please bear with me on this one. I'm sure this question has been asked before however, I've done a few searches and haven't found the exact info I'm looking for.

Which cat-back exhaust system produces the most H.P. for the buck? I like how flowmasters sound and the system is under $500. I see a lot of guys recommend SLP's Loudmouth, which is $700. Does anyone have some exact H.P. increase numbers for these systems? I'm looking for the same info regarding a cold-air intake system.

I want to pick the best exhaust/cold air intake system based on data, not because "someone said so".

One more thing please. What's the difference between SLP's Loudmouth and Loudmouth II??

Thanks in advance guys!

George
Old 12-15-2007, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

If you want best bang for you buck HP wise get a nitrous kit. If you think you will even notice the power from intake and a catback then you wont want to buy one. They will just help you care breath better and free up some HP later on down the road with more mods.

Personally I have the Stainless Works 3" catback with chambered mufflers (also have JBA non catted mid pipes) and a New Era intake. I dyno'd 327whp and 333wtq through an auto.

The difference in the SLP catback is that the II is just a newer version.

I would check out LS1GTO.com for more GTO specific information.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

iIf you gonna run headers many people (me included ) don't like the raspiness of a loudmouth. With stock exhaust they sound great though. LMII is slightly quieter than a LMI. For the $$ and performance gains I like a Hooker 3" Aero flow sytem. I was quoted $309 at fast toys for that system on f-body not long ago. Sounds great IMHO and flows very good. I will be gettin these with a set SS Hooker super comps with gutted cats in the near future if i don't get TSP true duals with bullets. Worried that TD's with that setup may be too loud. The cops already know me around here and the car does me no good without a license. lol

BTW, some will disagree around here with this but I don't think you see much if any HP gains with a CAI (but they do sound cool!). Get your throttle bottlle PP'ed and keep some $$ in your pocket. You notice the better throttle response and maybe pick up a couple ponys.

Last edited by SOMbitch; 12-16-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

BEST bang/buck? Take a hack saw to the exhaust and remove it.

Best bang/buck catback? Just do a muffler swap with a straight through muffler like dynomax or magnaflow. Unless you do extreme mods, you're unlikely to see a noticeable power difference between a muffler swap and a full catback.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the loud mouth 1 would'nt trade for nothing else. I do not have headers. As far as drone or rasp that people complain about with headers, I don't have that problem. This will help you if you don't have it.
http://www.ls1sounds.com/
Then this site which takes a min to load was a sound I used to explain to a friend that I was trying to get close to for my car, yea it's a GTO
http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/v...D_EXHAUST1.MOV
Like you said tho, keep searching cause what others like you might not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for 04 GTO