Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanic broke my block!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic broke my block!

I drive a 2000 LS1 Camaro.

Well a month ago i had my starter changed at a local mechanic.

I was at the store a week ago. When I got into the car to start it it started to crank over and stopped just before it fired up. I tried to turn the key again and got nothing.

It was towed back to the mechanic who did the work and was diagnosed as a cracked support that attaches the starter to the block.

The mechanic CRACK MY BLOCK! And now he is saying it is my fault that it is broken. He refuses to fix it and want to charge me 2500$!!!

I am not to sure what to do but a little advise would help.

Thanks.
-Jose
Old 12-25-2007, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

FOOOOOOOOOK that! Stay on his *** and higher legal help if necessary. There is no reason you should have to pay that much for something he did!
Old 12-25-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Deff take the legal route !
Old 12-25-2007, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Transamman25
Deff take the legal route !
+1!!! And never let any "Mechanic" touch your car!! They should be able to weld the aluminum back together though???
Old 12-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This isn't something that is unheard of with these engines, and I'm not surprised he's trying to wash his hands of it. It's a pretty expensive mistake...
Old 12-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Launching!

You cant do anything about it. 99% of the time shops win in court. You drove on it almost a month, he will say if it was something that he did it would have happend then. Also you cant prove you never messed with it or someone else didnt mess with it after it had left his shop. Sorry about what happend Im just giving you the heads up.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 3 weeks, you're probably gonna lose.
Block can be welded, but yep, you're looking at a big bill to pull it and put it back in, plus the cost of a GOOD welding shop.

However, I'd never let that mechanic touch it again, I'd find a competent LS1 performance shop, and expect to pay a grand or so to drop the motor out the bottom, put it back in and another few bucks for the welding.

I'd then work on the legal side; that particular mechanic may well have no clue how to treat aluminum block engines.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

so whats the opinion here? did he over torque the **** or something?
Old 12-26-2007, 04:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1crazyz28
I drive a 2000 LS1 Camaro.

Well a month ago i had my starter changed at a local mechanic.

I was at the store a week ago. When I got into the car to start it it started to crank over and stopped just before it fired up. I tried to turn the key again and got nothing.

It was towed back to the mechanic who did the work and was diagnosed as a cracked support that attaches the starter to the block.

The mechanic CRACK MY BLOCK! And now he is saying it is my fault that it is broken. He refuses to fix it and want to charge me 2500$!!!

I am not to sure what to do but a little advise would help.

Thanks.
-Jose
this is a totally shitty situation that would really suck to have to deal with but like others are saying you probably wont win in court because of the time frame it which it happened

i know not everyone has the place or the tools to work on their own stuff but this might be a good opportunity to start to learn, i personally hate paying for someone to do something that i can do a better job of myself, and then you dont have to worry about stuff like this happening. There are a lot of shitty mechanics out there
Old 12-26-2007, 05:12 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

This sucks.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:05 AM
TECH Addict

As unfortunate as this is I think in the end you're gonna either eat the cost of replacing the motor or the cost of replacing the motor and your legal fees when you lose in court. Not trying to be negative but like has been said you have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that what ever he did caused the failure which will be hard especially since you drove it for a month with no problems.

How did he supposedly do this anyway?
Old 12-26-2007, 06:07 AM
TECH Resident

......that sux man, i hope everything works out for you!!
Old 12-26-2007, 06:31 AM

id be hiden in some bushes waitn to gut somebody!!
Old 12-26-2007, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

It happened to mine too, hence i now have a 408. The bolts loosen up and then the starter kicks back and snaps the support. it usually breaks the mount on the starter as well. i still need to find a good shop to weld up the old block

Mine snapped when I cranked the engine over again before the flywheel had stopped spinning
Old 12-26-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly I wouldnt have that block welded up, your just asking for further trouble, look on the classifieds and find a totalled ls1 and take it and do it yourself or have a different mech do it for you...welded blocks only work so long and they are NEVER as strong...its basically an expensive temporary fix
Old 12-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by waldershrek
As unfortunate as this is I think in the end you're gonna either eat the cost of replacing the motor or the cost of replacing the motor and your legal fees when you lose in court. Not trying to be negative but like has been said you have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that what ever he did caused the failure which will be hard especially since you drove it for a month with no problems.

How did he supposedly do this anyway?
In a civil case, which this would be, the burden of proof is "preponderance of the evidence," i.e. 51%. There is no such thing as "beyond a shadow of a doubt." Even in criminal cases, the standard is "beyond a reasonable doubt;" there is a difference.

OP, you may try filing the claim yourself. eliminating the legal fees. Going it alone wouldn't be easy, but it also is not like you're putting on a complex case either. To win, you would reaally need a mechanic of your own to testify as an expert that such a break in the block would not occur under ordinary circumstances and that a starter repair could lead to the damage and likely did so in your case. But even if you do it half-assed, you're tying up the mechanic in court and making HIM spend $$$ for his lawyer. And in the United States, each side bears their own costs, so you don't have to worry about paying for the mechanic's lawyer if you lose.

At the very least, serving his *** with a summons might give you a bit of leverage in forcing him to pay for some, if not all, of the repair.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

It would be tough to convince a judge the mechanic broke the block. Its a pretty common problem with LS1's and it just happens. Just a quick search and I found these threads on the problem.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/394699-starter-tab-block-broke-off.html#post3638591
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/691755-starter-ear-broke-bolt-hole-block.html#post6816796
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/769530-starter-tab-broke-off.html#post7642231
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/691755-starter-ear-broke-bolt-hole-block.html#post7055599
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/795895-starter-totalled-my-block.html#post7917882

What causes it? who knows.. could be over, under, or uneven torquing the bolts, uneven surfaces on the starter to block mating surfaces. Also could break if you crank the car with the engine already running or heck the flywheel could be cracked and cause the starter to bind while starting.... lots of possible causes.. really if you want to take anyone to court take GM for making the block weak in that area.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

IMO, going to court will only **** the mechanic off, and accomplish nothing in the process except wasting money on both sides. You'd have a better case if it had happened closer in time to the repair, or while it was in his care. Once it leaves his garage, I don't see how he could be responsible for it, especially that long after it had been there.

It sucks, but this one is on you, and is an unfortunate part of dealing with these cars. As has been stated a few times, this is not unheard of, much like piston-slap and oil consumption.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Oh man sorry about that keep us posted to what happens
Old 12-26-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

WOW! I didnt knew of this flaw. Something to keep an eye out. Does this happens spontaneously also?? I ask because it seems pretty clear that the mechanic over torque it. If you can find a GM tech that could testify in your favor maybe you could pull it off.