New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

this is the only tech forum i saw

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy this is the only tech forum i saw

so here is the breakdown. i am working on my friends 2000 ta. we have just completed a 408 install. everything is done and ready to go. we hooked up the battery and heard some random noises from behind the dash. when you open the door you can here a very fast clicking from under the glove box. also the security light is flashing as fast as the clicking. we tried to use the remote to disarm the security system. the remote does not lock or unlock the doors. So i am kind of drawing a blank and unfamiliar with the system

i am just throwing this out here cause i was hoping someone might have some answers, or can point me in the right direction.

if you have some more questions let me know.

Moderators please put in correct place if i am wrong.

thanks guys
Gil
Old 12-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Found this. It's a write-up on how to diable to VATS system.

If your symptoms match then go fo it. I couldn't find anything about the clicking though. Maybe the car has a piggyback alarm like mine did. I just unplugged and removed the piggyback.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ecurity+system

http://vats.likeabigdog.com/
Old 12-27-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

dunno for sure but it almost sounds like an aftermarket alarm box is screwing things up. I'd track back and find where the clicking is coming from.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:52 PM

that is helpful but i am trying to find the solution not a bypass.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually now that I think of it, It could even be the factory alarm going crazy.. mine started to do weird things and programed it for Keylless entry but that was a couple years ago.. There are steps to also disable the factory alarm and set it up for keyless entry only. Look in the owners manual as the steps are kind of goofy.. its literally like pull the fuse for stereo, turn key to the run positon without starting the engine, then press certain switches in the car to change the settings of the factory alarm.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:35 AM

ok i have been reading the threads but i think there might be more of an issue. the horn does not honk the doors do not lock or unlock. it is almost like the battery is dead. they try to lock and you can hear the cylinoid trying to lock the doors but don't have enough power.

thanks for the useful info that people have sent so far
Old 12-29-2007, 10:52 PM

i was told that there might be a battery in the cpu's is this true? something i should check??

btw the battery has a full 12.43 volts. i don't think i specified that info.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Did you check battery voltage when trying the horn, door lock switches etc. Sounds like a bad battery.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:06 PM

good idea i will try first thing in the morning
Old 12-30-2007, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

1st i would be checking fuses in the engine bay and driver dash. possible pinched a wire during engine install who knows.. check your fuses before firing the parts cannon at it.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ddi you get all the ground straps connected??
Old 12-30-2007, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

is youre security light on by any chance? i think theyre might be a possibility that the bcm might have screwed up somehow, cause i do belive the security functions are all run from the bcm. im not too fimiliar with alarms but just thought that might be something else to check into.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you get this through your stereo too when it's on? Maybe your wires are messed up or something. I'd try new plugs wires if you didn't already put new ones on with the engine. It could also be BCM related like other people said. Maybe try the stereo and electronics section, they'd probably be able to tell you if it's something related to those things or not.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:14 PM

awsome this is what i was hoping for. but i got a question what and where is the bcm
Old 12-30-2007, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
Ddi you get all the ground straps connected??
i did get all the grounds even the bastard design of the back side of the left head. seriously who thought of that.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i replace my battery about a month ago, i got that same clicking noise. i basically installed the battery in the parking lot of napa with a pair of pliers. i got it tight as i could but i guess it wasnt that tight. couple days later i guess the positive terminal just got loose and whenever i put my key in the ignition, a clicking sound from behind the dash on the passenger side could be heard. after bugging out for an hour of two trying to figure out what the problem was, i got hold of a socket wrench and tightened the terminals of my battery. haven't had a problem since ::knocks on wood::.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

bcm= body control module. as far as location now im not 100% sure but i do belive its near the top of the steering column, but i would make sure of the exact spot too before you start tearing things apart. if you have access to a scanner that would be a good start to check for any bcm codes if you havent done so already. i would also try like
sixvi6 said and reprogram the vats. hope youre getting closer to figuring it out.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM sent.

Originally Posted by GiliganWRX
so here is the breakdown. i am working on my friends 2000 ta. we have just completed a 408 install. everything is done and ready to go. we hooked up the battery and heard some random noises from behind the dash. when you open the door you can here a very fast clicking from under the glove box. also the security light is flashing as fast as the clicking. we tried to use the remote to disarm the security system. the remote does not lock or unlock the doors. So i am kind of drawing a blank and unfamiliar with the system

i am just throwing this out here cause i was hoping someone might have some answers, or can point me in the right direction.

if you have some more questions let me know.

Moderators please put in correct place if i am wrong.

thanks guys
Gil
Old 01-07-2008, 05:26 PM

hey 2002 SS thanks for the PM. for anyone tho might get this electrical nightmare. We did do some trouble shooting. for those people who said check the battery that was good. actually we had a new battery which had a corrosion protectant film on it. also the terminals had some slight build up. we cleaned the contacts. hooked up the connections "tight" and it turned right over.

just for an update we have started the car it started right up. we do need to adjust the lifters and get it tuned and this monster will hit the streets.

thanks for all the input guys.