New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alright, gearing up for next mod...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alright, gearing up for next mod...

Alright a few months off of my last mod which were stepped headers. Now I know the last mod isn't good for stock size motors. My plan originally was to get the headers and save up for a stroker, but perhaps I should ride on the LS1 for awhile...

Anywho, I've got some questions and I'm hoping for some good answers....

head cam package should I start looking for?

Should I stick to the originals heads, look for LS6 heads, or opt for AFR 205s or Patriots Stage 2?

Are 224 112lsas too mild for my car? I'm looking for something daily drivable, but able to take to the track for fun or whoop a** on the streets.

Before I should consider messing around with the heads and cam, I know I've got to put in a stall.
I'm thinking about doing tranny work also.

Is an FLT stage 4 tranny too much for now with a vig stall around 3500 too much?

I've asked around earlier about rear ends and driveshafts and I've decided to hold off on that stuff until later, however, I'm thinking about getting 3.73 gears... Will the good old 10 bolt handle it?

Thanks for your time...
Old 01-02-2008, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say.....use the search button. This stuff has been talked about for 10 years now.

Talk to vendors and different shops. Read a lot!!! Think twice and mod once.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Teching In

I know I know... just throwing out random questions looking for random answers...

I've done a few searches, but theres always that temptation to throw your baby's next project into the pot and see what everyone will say about it.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:36 AM
TECH Addict

Why do you think you need a stage 4 tranny? That really isn't designed to be put in a DD, more for a strip car.

As far as the gears go you'll be fine. M6's are the ones to suffer the most from exploding rear ends. A4's are a little gentler on things.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

check out thunderracing, texas-speed, speedinc, ws6store, ect ect for head cam packages...224 cam is fine for the street...i would go a lil bigger, just me....like waldershrek said, you don't need a stage4 tranny unless you are draggin it hard....if you are really worried about the rearend, upgrade that before you move on to h/c upgrade
Old 01-02-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have always used Texas Speed And Performance.They will send u down the right road.Give them a call and they can hook u up!
Old 01-02-2008, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt spend money on gears in a 10 bolt if your planning stall and h/c because you will need sticky tires to hook. I had to rethink my plans because I will be on the 10 bolt for a long time. Still worried about just stall and bolt ons.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Teching In

hmmm, from reading a few threads I had a feeling flt 4 would be too much. As for a stall, I'm going to push for the 3600-3800 range... that might be too much for DD but I read a few threads where people live with them... maybe have to keep the gas on the peddle though...

As for the gears 3.73s TA1364 you may be right, 3.73s may be too much if I get h/c down the road. Maybe I should opt for the ss gears.

Looks like I can only afford the transmission/stall/gear stuff for now, but at least I have starting knowledge of where I need to go for h/c. Looks like the 224 is the DD king, but I have a feeling I might have to go bigger around the 230 range to fully use those headers. Hopefully it won't kill the DD.

Thanks for the input fellas