Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Doesnt Start!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Doesnt Start!

Ok, so I tried starting my car the other day and it wouldn't even turn over. Battery and all the gages were where they needed to be. My bro said it isn't in gear, so I shifted the dear to drive then back to park and it cranked right up like normal. Then two days later it did it again. I did the same thing and it cranked right up. What yall think it can be cause it keeps happening? Its an A4 BTW!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Shifter cable getting stuck at the ignition switch part, it might be loose there. Check your interlock solenoid.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ignition switch might be going ??...I know it did the same thing on mine then I went out to start it one day and nothing...the switch wire had broken in half...
Old 01-04-2008, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

ok, so where exactly is the ignition switch and how do I get to it!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Launching!

May be a PRNDL switch or how old schoolers know it as a neutral safety switch. Also could maybe be something mechanically wrong w/shifter/cable keeping it from actuating PRNDL switch every time(Something sticking or loose). You can test PRNDL with a test light and a wiring diagram if you can obtain one but if your problem is intermittent as it sounds you may not find any problems while testing. If you take it to a dealer they will charge you an hour labor diag. and most likely tell you they could not duplicate problem, then sell you a PRNDL switch and charge .8-1.2? labor hours to give the switch a shot. I would throw a PRNDL switch at it and see if it sticks. Most likely PRNDL, least likely a bad ignition switch(if moving shifter around actually solves the starting problem).
Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

my camaro was starting to do the same thing before i put it away for the winter but mine is a m6. i have to repeatedly push in the clutch a few time and then it will finally fire over.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Ignition switch is in the steering column and the neutral safety is in the shifter console.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99huggerorangeZ
my camaro was starting to do the same thing before i put it away for the winter but mine is a m6. i have to repeatedly push in the clutch a few time and then it will finally fire over.
what is the switch called that is behind the clutch pedal that is causing the condition stated above?
Old 01-06-2008, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Well, now my car wont start no matter what I do. I shifted the gear over and over and it wont start period. No nothing! I took the shift console off, but I rlly have no clue what Im lookin for. and If I take the steering column offf, I wont know what im lookin for. Any pointers?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Launching!

For Flemshady you say your car does not start. Does it not crank? Does it crank but not start? Did you try to start it with the shifter in neutral?

For Huggerorange the switch you are reffering to is the neutral safety switch on an M6 car but many Autozone/Advance type joints will refer to it as what it is. A clutch switch.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

It doesnt crank at all. the battery gage goes up and all the gages go up then down when I crank. Does not turn over at all!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so today it started, its weird that it starts when it wants too, but im still scared to drive it cause I know if I take it in town ill get to the gas station or something and then it wont wanna start. How easy is it to get into the steering column and where is the ignition switch!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Does not sound like an ignition switch although it is possible they usually do not go interrmittent and it sounds like the car is responding to you turning the key even when its not starting. Try a Neutral Safety Switch, its in center console I believe mounted directly to shifter(not sure where in console cause I havent had an A4 console apart yet). If you want to find out what it looks like go to the parts store and look at it. I found one with a picture on partsamerica.com for like $25.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

I replaced the neutral safety switch and it starts fine now. For now, Thanks guys! I love this site!