Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning my MAF

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cleaning my MAF

So, I just went to AutoZone and picked up some of the CRC QD Electronic Cleaner so I can cleam my MAF on my car. What exactly do I do? Do I just spray it on the wires that are running across the whole thing on the inside? Also, the rest of it is pretty dirty, like the outside parts and the screen. Should I just use this cleaner stuff for it, or would just whiping it down with a damp cloth be fine, since it wouldn't be touching the sensors anyways?

Also, what's the best way to get the screen in and out of there? I don't want to mess it all up trying to pry it out. It seems like it'll get bent easily.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

wouldn't hurt to spray the whole thing and allow it to dry COMPLETELY.. just DO NOT touch the wires on the inside
Old 01-24-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
wouldn't hurt to spray the whole thing and allow it to dry COMPLETELY.. just DO NOT touch the wires on the inside
Just spray the sh*t out of it and let dry.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

So just spray outside and in completely? I have all the time in the world to let it dry too. I don't have anywhere to be.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Actually, while I'm doing this, is there anything else under the hood or on the car that would be easy and take out and clean with the stuff?
Old 01-24-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i say if your ganna clean the MAF you should go ahead and buy some "sea foam deep creep"
and clean out your thotle body and intake from the inside might even do all the seafoam
check on maintnece and see the seafoam sticky.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I've actually got it bookmarked. I plan on waiting to do that when it gets a little warmer. Then, I'm going to change the oil and do plugs and wires also. I was just looking for other things that I could clean using this stuff, for right now.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tspence45
Actually, while I'm doing this, is there anything else under the hood or on the car that would be easy and take out and clean with the stuff?
that stuff is made to clean MAF's only.. you could take off your TB and spray it down with brake cleaner but to clean your engine bay just get some simple green and dilute per the instructions, spray it all over, rinse, and you'll have a good looking engine bay in no time. oh yeah, and obviously make sure the engine is COLD when you hose it down

but yeah, make real sure you don't touch the wires inside and allow it to dry completely and you'll be set!
Old 01-24-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

The cleaner you bought will work. But they actually sell a can that says MAF cleaner. Also if you want will its off, spray your TB and manifold down with some seafoam deep creep.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Well, upon removal of the screen, I kind of bent it up decently. So, I don't think I'll be able to use the screen on it again. I should be fine though, I mean, aftermarket MAF's don't have screens on them. I also searched the internet and people say that they noticed a little better fuel mileage without it and a tad better topend. Probably just in their minds, but o well.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some cars run fine without the screen and others have not ran so well without them. The screen is there to smooth and take turbulence out of the incoming air, and it also saves your motor from objects that some time find their way past the air filter. There are many threads on this topic, some people say you do not need the screen others swear by it. I have never removed any of mine so I really can not give you a definite answer, I just know what I have read from others experiences.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I've read all the mixed reviews. I didn't plan to take it off, but I think I'll be fine without it. If I put it back on and the car doesn't seem to be running fine, I'll see if I can get the screen back to how it was or I'll just see if there's a place where I can order a replacement screen. I don't think it'll be a really big deal though, hopefully.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tspence45
Yeah, I've read all the mixed reviews. I didn't plan to take it off, but I think I'll be fine without it. If I put it back on and the car doesn't seem to be running fine, I'll see if I can get the screen back to how it was or I'll just see if there's a place where I can order a replacement screen. I don't think it'll be a really big deal though, hopefully.
your car will probably run a lil different w/o the screen. let us know cuz i don't remember if mine ran different or not w/o the screen but then again that was back in the day when i p/p it too.. you won't be able to find a replacement screen, you'll just have to get a new maf. descreened won't be a big deal either unless you don't have a good seal on your lid
Old 01-24-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

your car will probably run a lil different w/o the screen. let us know cuz i don't remember if mine ran different or not w/o the screen but then again that was back in the day when i p/p it too.. you won't be able to find a replacement screen, you'll just have to get a new maf. descreened won't be a big deal either unless you don't have a good seal on your lid
I have an LT1 Z28, so no lid. My CAI keeps things out really well though. I've never found anything in the screen atleast. The screen was also decently clean for being on a 94 having 122k on it. Don't know if it had been cleaned before, but I just figured I would for the heck of it. And I've had some throttle hesitation and heard the MAF may be causing it, if it's dirty. Even if it wasn't the cause, it's still good maintenance. The car hasn't done it in about a week though.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I just got back from putting the MAF back in and testing the car out. The throttle response seems a little better and the car didn't really feel as sluggish when accelerating. It felt like it had a little more power when I hammered on it. I pulled onto the highway and hit it at about 15 or 20 mph. I spun through 1st and hit 2nd spinning. I caught traction, then hit 3rd and it shot to 70 pretty damn quick. I didn't want to exceed the speed limit, so I let off and shifted to 6th. I think most of the differences are due to the cleaning, but the car runs perfectly fine without the screen on there. I'm happy with how it went. I'm hoping that I get my tax return deposited into my checking account tomorrow. Then, I'll go out and buy some Seafoam and Seafoam Deep Creep and do the full treatment to the car, since I hear it's supposed to warm back up in the next couple of days to around 40 or so.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol.. YEah thats warm im freezing my but off in Cali its 52 at the moment
Old 01-24-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Hey, 40 is better than the 0 to 5 degree weather that we've been having. lol
Old 01-24-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good man, I am glad she is running good for ya. You should be ok without it...
Old 01-24-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks man. And thanks to all you guys that helped out and let me know exactly what to do.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

That's what we're here for! I always try to help out whenever I can. Glad it's running better. Get some more mods and have fun!

Quick Reply: Cleaning my MAF