Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MIDAS guy says AC/heater odor is from oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MIDAS guy says AC/heater odor is from oil leak

Whenever I have the AC or heater on I can smell exhaust/some sort of toxic odor. It seems to go away when I'm moving, though

MIDAS says it's probably coming from the oil leak, which appears to be the front main seal, maybe. I didn't know the car had an oil leak. I thought the odor was exhaust, but he says the exhaust is fine. I don't think it's the motor oil leak. What do you guys think? How can I get this figured out? Another guy said it might be refrigerant oil leak. I don't know.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

It's probably a small coolant leak in you heater core. Do a leak down test on your cooling system first.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HDNVALLEY
It's probably a small coolant leak in you heater core. Do a leak down test on your cooling system first.
Hmm. Oddly enough, I haven't noticed any leaks at all. But, I hope that's the problem. That's relatively an easy fix. A leak down test is where I artificially pump pressure into the system through the radiator cap opening?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

If this is the source of the odor it is a pinhole leak and will take a long time for the coolant level to drop so you notice it. There won't be any evidence such as a pool on the floor since the coolant evaporates as it leaks out, thus the odor. The leakdown test involves pumping the cooling system up to normal temp and monitoring the pressure for any drop. It takes special equipment but is a simple, inexpensive test to have done.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HDNVALLEY
If this is the source of the odor it is a pinhole leak and will take a long time for the coolant level to drop so you notice it. There won't be any evidence such as a pool on the floor since the coolant evaporates as it leaks out, thus the odor. The leakdown test involves pumping the cooling system up to normal temp and monitoring the pressure for any drop. It takes special equipment but is a simple, inexpensive test to have done.
How much will it cost?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Just ask your mechanic before you have it done. I would guess about 1/2 hr labor.