Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Camaro Z28, Starter Died?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Camaro Z28, Starter Died?

So i turn the key to start my car and all i can hear is the starter making a quiet spinning noise. It was making a harsh noise the last 5 times i started my car. Guess i should have taken a hint.

Any one know a quick fix of should i call CAA now?

Also, on that note. Should i bring my car to a dealership for this problem or a mechanic?

And, anyone know if certain starters are better that others? What should I replace it with- or can they fix my OEM starter with parts?

I appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks
Old 01-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Banned

Starters are pretty easy to take off, I believe its a 10 or 12 MM bolt, its something you can do on your own with a jack or ramps
Old 01-26-2008, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Quick fix: put a cloth over it and give it a tap with a hammer. Then go get yourself another starter, jack up the car, take a 15 mm socket, a 3" extension, and a wrench, and use 15 minutes to replace the broken one.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Teching In

There is a blizzard out side right now so i didn't feel like crawling under my car today. So i towed my car to canadian tire... told them to replace the starter if they need to... can't wait for the bill...
Old 01-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Canadian Tire just left me message to tell me that "the starter is broke, the bolts are broke and the part of the engine block where te starter attaches is broke. Plus where the engine block is broke, it looks like it has been repaired before."

.......... f**K

I don't know what i should do. If anyone has a sugestion, i'm all ears.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ouch I guess what I'd do is cry. Bummer man if thats realy what happend which I never trust mechanics because I am one and also I do my owne work.
But if thats what realy happend then you need to get the block fixed... which means the block probly needs to come out unless you find a super mechanic that can fix it in the car wow dude sorry thats some bad luck hope you have a piggy bank full of the green stuff.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rosbro
Canadian Tire just left me message to tell me that "the starter is broke, the bolts are broke and the part of the engine block where te starter attaches is broke. Plus where the engine block is broke, it looks like it has been repaired before."

.......... f**K

I don't know what i should do. If anyone has a sugestion, i'm all ears.
I have had the starter itself break off right around the bolt where it attaches to the engine. This was causing a loud screeching sound due to the starter hanging down. Same thing happened to my dad'd SS too.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackfang
I have had the starter itself break off right around the bolt where it attaches to the engine. This was causing a loud screeching sound due to the starter hanging down. Same thing happened to my dad'd SS too.
Really? Did the dealership warenty it? How did you fix the block? -or did they replace the block? or was it just the starter that broke away from the engine?

I'm about to go to the dealership that sold this car to me less than 90 days ago and strangle the sales manager. I'm not sure what i hope to acomlish by it yet. But i am desperate for a solution. They would have/should have noticed this durring the inspection?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, they should have, but some dealerships and car salesman are scumbags (not all, but....some). Did you get any kind of short-term warranty on the car? I'd bring it back and bitch slap them around until they do something about it, but they probably won't, so just bitch slap them around on principle. Then talk to a mechanic about what actually needs to be done to fix it and start saving your money.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Dealer said, "you didn't take the extended warrenty, i'm afraid there's nothing we can do"
Old 01-29-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rosbro
Really? Did the dealership warenty it? How did you fix the block? -or did they replace the block? or was it just the starter that broke away from the engine?

I'm about to go to the dealership that sold this car to me less than 90 days ago and strangle the sales manager. I'm not sure what i hope to acomlish by it yet. But i am desperate for a solution. They would have/should have noticed this durring the inspection?
Nope. It was at 75k last summer and I took it to my work(I work for a Subaru/Nissan/Kia dealer) and we did it there. I doubt a 10 year old car would still be under warranty for that.

The block was fine. The starter housing itself is what was bad and caused the starter to hang on me.

Coming from a dealership Employee, I would not take that route unless you want to get shut down. Be very professional because the Sales Manager has ZERO knowledge on the car and what the Service dept found even if they found any problems at all. You can't always detect a future failure of a part.

Be reasonable and courteous and hopefully they will work with you. Keep in mind, they DO NOT have to do anything at all for you.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackfang
Nope. It was at 75k last summer and I took it to my work(I work for a Subaru/Nissan/Kia dealer) and we did it there. I doubt a 10 year old car would still be under warranty for that.

The block was fine. The starter housing itself is what was bad and caused the starter to hang on me.

Coming from a dealership Employee, I would not take that route unless you want to get shut down. Be very professional because the Sales Manager has ZERO knowledge on the car and what the Service dept found even if they found any problems at all. You can't always detect a future failure of a part.

Be reasonable and courteous and hopefully they will work with you. Keep in mind, they DO NOT have to do anything at all for you.
Don't worry, i was just kidding. I used to work at a dealership. I know how it works there. and you are right, they don't have to do anything for me.

I found a reputable performance shop here in Edmonton who have said they will take a second look at it. They will possibly be able to repair it, if it is just thread damage. Now if only i could find a tow truck. There is an "emergency situation" here so all the tow truck company's are booked till sunday.

In the meantime, i bought a 1995 pathfinder off my dad.

Quick Reply: 02 Camaro Z28, Starter Died?