New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with the car starting sometimes any clues?

Old 01-26-2008, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with the car starting sometimes any clues?

My friend has a 2001 Camaro Z28 with about 105k miles on it. Lately he has been frustrated with it starting right up. So far he has spent like $600+ dollars trying to figure out whats wrong. Sometimes it wont start he has to keep cranking it several times till it will finally start. So far he has replaced the fuel filter, the fuel pump, replaced the fuel pressure regulator, checked the fuel pressure, New gas cap, changed spark plugs. And that’s about all I know as of yet. And there are no codes being displayed to aid in whats going on. Has anyone had a similar problem or can suggest things to check? The car will crank over fine and dosent sound weak like its a battery issue, just wont fire.

Last edited by Logic; 01-26-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

How cold? My LS1's seem to start fine but my 3.8L GN Engine in my 90 Firebird seems to hate 30 and colder. Almost like the fuel is freezing up in the rail or lines. It fired right up today but it was like 35 degrees.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cabech984
How cold? My LS1's seem to start fine but my 3.8L GN Engine in my 90 Firebird seems to hate 30 and colder. Almost like the fuel is freezing up in the rail or lines. It fired right up today but it was like 35 degrees.
Sorry I edited the post he told me wrong (I just called to verify). the car seems to just do this whenever even when its been run and he goes in the store and comes back out or on cold starts.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's weird. My car takes a few extra cranks when it's cold. But, when it's been run, and I go to start it within probably a half hour or less, it'll turn right over. Did he change the plug wires when he changed plugs?
Old 01-26-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Logic
My friend has a 2001 Camaro Z28 with about 105k miles on it. Lately he has been frustrated with it starting right up. So far he has spent like $600+ dollars trying to figure out whats wrong. Sometimes it wont start he has to keep cranking it several times till it will finally start. So far he has replaced the fuel filter, the fuel pump, replaced the fuel pressure regulator, checked the fuel pressure, New gas cap, changed spark plugs. And that’s about all I know as of yet. And there are no codes being displayed to aid in whats going on. Has anyone had a similar problem or can suggest things to check? The car will crank over fine and dosent sound weak like its a battery issue, just wont fire.
how about the starter!!?? check out this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/852680-ws6-wont-start.html
Old 01-27-2008, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tspence45
That's weird. My car takes a few extra cranks when it's cold. But, when it's been run, and I go to start it within probably a half hour or less, it'll turn right over. Did he change the plug wires when he changed plugs?

No we didnt change his plug wires (yet). He wanted to get some MSD ones but we didnt have time to find a set yesterday.

I also read the Camshaft pos sens and even the ignition/starter relays can cause this. Im going to go by and check the relays for him today.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
how about the starter!!?? check out this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852680
Not sure if it would be the starter because the car cranks over fine just wont fire. But im not dismissing that either.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Im telling you right now, it is prolly the starter. I had the same problem and it pissed me off, I changed everything and still did the same thing. I would turn the key and all the gauges would work but no crank. Then I would have to crank it about twenty times before it would crank, it always eventually cranked, never failed, but It would take a while, usually when it was cold or sittin for a while. Itook it to gm, and there was like a bad connection or bad sylenoid in my starter or something. Anyways, replaced that, and now I have no problems. I want to put money on it that that is the problem!
Old 01-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Logic
i had that happen with my 89 berreta turned out to be a battery
Old 01-27-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOT]9]Not sure if it would be the starter because the car cranks over fine just wont fire. But im not dismissing that either.[/QUOTE]

You are right! If it cranks fine its not the starter. After he cranks on it for a few seconds does it fire? He may be losing fuel pressure after the car is turned off. Monitor the fuel pressure after the car is turned off...it should stay steady and not drop too much. If after 5 min its down to say 10psi or even 0 psi, then you have a problem.

Most of the extended crank concerns I get at the dealership are fuel pump modules. The check valve goes bad and allows fuel back into the tank after key off. If its not the fuel pump module, you may have a leaking injector. If you do find out you are bleeding off fuel pressure after key off, unbolt the fuel rail while leaving the lines attached and see if you have an injector stuck open. Let me know what you find.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you tried cleaning the MAF? If they get oiled up they get pissed off and it isn't but $5.00 a can.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

if you're having trouble starting the car...why would you first assume it's a fuel pump or fuel filter before you check electrical?? it just seems like common sense to check all the electrical components first (battery,starter,alternator, and cables) before you even think about spending money on parts you may, and probably don't need.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with the car starting sometimes any clues?