Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cut out ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cut out ?

I have been thinking about getting electric cut out exhaust to make the car (98 TA) louder. I am basically stock besides flowmaster exhause and i am wondering how it will sound and where the cut out should be placed. Advice appreciated.
Thanks, Brandon
Old 01-27-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

try a search, this has been covered many times.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

I hate when people tell someone to go to a search. Nobody wants to go to a two old forum that nobody will respond to when you say something.

Alright Besch, I have a flowmaster catback and then I decided to get a cutout. I will tell you the advantages and disadvantages.

The only disadvantage is that they are not very loud when they are idle or when you going slow IMO. But this is coming from someone who wants their car the loudest possible.

The advantage would be that they are cheap and I would say overall pretty loud. I like mine but I wish they were louder idle. I will probably end up getting a cam but I don't know where to start.

You put the cutout right before the muffler and get a 3inch one.

I do not have a video as of yet but I will see if i can send you one later.

Hope this helps
Old 01-27-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the search will help especially with something like a cut out, theres a lot of similar ones, anwyay white knight has some good info
Old 01-27-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look on the second page of my cardomain for a soundclip, thats dual cutouts in the y, but you get the idea...
Old 01-28-2008, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

I tried searching but it wasnt that productive, maybe i need to work on my searching skills. Thanks for those who replied with useful info appreciate it.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Whiteknight01
You put the cutout right before the muffler and get a 3inch one.
There is also a nice indentation in the floorpan right underneath the passenger seat where it tucks in nicely.

That's where I've always had it.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Teching In

my cutout is placed right after the Y pipe merges. I too have a flowmaster catback and i noticed ater putting headers and an ORY on the car it felt like the flowmaster was choking the power up top so i installed the cut out. ive always driven with the cutout open and with motor work its got a loud pronounced lopey idle. with the cutout capped you can't even tell theres a cam in there..
Old 01-28-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Texfinn
There is also a nice indentation in the floorpan right underneath the passenger seat where it tucks in nicely.

That's where I've always had it.
that is where mine is located at.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cutout is right after the y-pipe. It was put in place of the cat. It is very loud and I love it. I just wish I could ride around town with it uncapped. I know I'd get a ticket in a hurry for it, if I tried.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

^^nah you should be alright, i ride around 99% percent of the time with mine open on my car, i got pulled over in my truck though for loud exhaust, cop just gave me a warning although you have to deal with illinois *****.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I drove around Chicago area, IL for 3 months with and open cutout. I leave it open 100% of the time now in FL, but noone ever tries to mess with me on the streets bc it sounds just absolutely nassssssty.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is where I installed my cutout.

I bought a QTP 3 inch cutout and my only complaint is the damn thing will not seal. I tried putting high temp rtv around the little holes where the blade closes and also all the way around the blade itself and nothing will stop the leak.
Doesnt really matter really because I always leave it open and when I do close it next to a cop it just sounds like a minor exhaust leak.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dont have anything to say that hasnt already been said but i will agree that they are really quiet at idle, assuming youre not cammed or anything, and they do have a nice little rasp up top. its a really nice change of pace if youve been running through a catback for a while
Old 01-28-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

just get the manual one first and then order the electric one if you have to keep opening and closing it.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by *98TransAm*
^^nah you should be alright, i ride around 99% percent of the time with mine open on my car, i got pulled over in my truck though for loud exhaust, cop just gave me a warning although you have to deal with illinois *****.
Cops around here hate me though and have nothing better to do. I'm also on probation, so I can't get afford to get any more tickets for about a year.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tspence45
Cops around here hate me though and have nothing better to do. I'm also on probation, so I can't get afford to get any more tickets for about a year.
ahhh gotcha, i see your also on qcaaf, small world i guess, so you have never drove your car with the cutout open before?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tspence45
My cutout is right after the y-pipe. It was put in place of the cat. It is very loud and I love it. I just wish I could ride around town with it uncapped. I know I'd get a ticket in a hurry for it, if I tried.
Is it a good idea to put the cutout in place of a cat or is there a better location for it??
Old 01-29-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by besch
Is it a good idea to put the cutout in place of a cat or is there a better location for it??
You can put it pretty much anywhere you want. To me, the best spot has always been the indent on the floorboard just underneath the npassenger seat.

If you take a peek there, you'll see what I mean.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got a Raceready cut out and I love the thing... the long tubes also help with the loudness..

Mine is placed somewhat in the back half of the car right before the flowmaster and the pipe steps down.. it's 3 in all the way to the cut out and then after that it's 2.5... cut out open, you can definitely tell it's time for business... and with it closed the cabin is definitely a hell of a lot quieter... you also might want to put it back a little bit to cut down on vibration..