Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another cam question.. be gentle

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another cam question.. be gentle

im not exactly a noob. I have had my trans am for 3 years. currently im running stock headers, gutted cats, e cut out and dynomax bullet. However, im purchasing TSP LT's in a few weeks, and prob will run them open, or put straight pipes on and dump it before the axle. Id like to get a cam this summer. I've done searches, but am just trying to get advice on a good, not high cost, cam with a fairly rough idle.i actually live in baton rouge so im gonna try to shoot to get thunder racing to do everything this time. Be gentle guys, and thanks for the support

Old 01-27-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superdrake06
im not exactly a noob. I have had my trans am for 3 years. currently im running stock headers, gutted cats, e cut out and dynomax bullet. However, im purchasing TSP LT's in a few weeks, and prob will run them open, or put straight pipes on and dump it before the axle. Id like to get a cam this summer. I've done searches, but am just trying to get advice on a good, not high cost, cam with a fairly high stall. Be gentle guys, and thanks for the support

first thing's first. you're gonna do what with your exhaust? you have stock manifolds, gutted cats, cut out, and a dnynomax bullet muffler?? good thing you're getting the lt's! what's your reason for running open headers????? or straight pipes and dumping??? it's gonna stink like and sound like ***. Why not just get a y pipe and a cat back?

i'm not being a dick man but are you choosing that exhaust set up b/c it's cheaper??

i think you need to work out your exhaust issues before considering a cam and stall. but i'll let someone else advise you on that...
Old 01-28-2008, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

^geeze
Old 01-28-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

have you figured in the tune you're going to have to get with that cam? lt's,dumps w/bullets will sound good with whatever cam you choose maybe a 224-230 with 112lsa or somthing like that. TR has great packages. p.s. those lt's will make anything sound good
Old 01-28-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol he said be gentle, that means he probably doesnt know what he's talking about.

first off, superdrake, make sure everything on the car is in good condition and will support more hp and take a beating before you spend money on areas that dont need attention, like your exhaust. once you know everything is good (and i dont mean just your fluids, you've had the car 3 years man, look around), then a good place to go would be to get headers, a y pipe, and a good catback, or try the tsp true duals. from there i'd look at suspension and drivetrain mods to beef up the car before getting a cam.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
make sure everything on the car is in good condition and will support more hp and take a beating before you spend money on areas that dont need attention
That's great advice! And Drake, I seriously wasn't trying to be a dick.. I apologize. But really, get a y and cat back and maybe some lower control arms, subframe connectors, ported & polished tb, intake, and go from there.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
That's great advice! And Drake, I seriously wasn't trying to be a dick.. I apologize. But really, get a y and cat back and maybe some lower control arms, subframe connectors, ported & polished tb, intake, and go from there.
thanks, it really needs to be said alot more often.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

much appreciated guys.. im a sophmore at LSU, so i've been saving up a while .. and finally have some decent money to spend. Thanks everyone..
Old 01-28-2008, 01:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree with the rest on the mods the only issue I have is you would be better off going to Futral but thats jmo
Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

most cams will cost about the same amount...

so basically you're down to desired power level.

370-380rwhp and great driveability - TR 224 cam

380-390rwhp and good driveability - 228R cam

390-400rwhp and decent driveability - TSP torquer 2 or Futral F13 or F14

400rwhp+ and reasonable driveability, but sluggish low range - MS3, MS4, F15, TRex, TRax

i ran my LTs with an Xpipe and no mufflers....sounded pretty mean...but was honestly too loud. couldn't carry on a conversation in the car cruising, and was earsplitting loud at WOT. the mufflers toned it down, still allowed you to hear the cam but made it MUCH more fun to drive around.

go with the LTs and true duals...badass combo.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by superdrake06
im not exactly a noob. I have had my trans am for 3 years. currently im running stock headers, gutted cats, e cut out and dynomax bullet. However, im purchasing TSP LT's in a few weeks, and prob will run them open, or put straight pipes on and dump it before the axle. Id like to get a cam this summer. I've done searches, but am just trying to get advice on a good, not high cost, cam with a fairly rough idle.i actually live in baton rouge so im gonna try to shoot to get thunder racing to do everything this time. Be gentle guys, and thanks for the support

Are you running A4 or M6........because if you're running an A4 you'll need stall(torque converter) when running a cam
Old 01-28-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSlow1
Are you running A4 or M6........because if you're running an A4 you'll need stall(torque converter) when running a cam
well he doesn't necessarily "need" one but of course it's recommended