Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno tune good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno tune good idea?

My nephew had A performance shop in Houston do a custom Dyno tune. (Not mentioning name of place). They put the wrong plugs in, and gapped incorrectly. Now, Im a little wooried to get one done to my A4. Has anyone in Texas had work done at Horsepower Engineering?
Old 02-01-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

HPE is actually one of the best speed shops in the country from what i hear.. Chuck** is supposed to be master at dyno tuning. i'm considering driving down there to get my car tuned once i get all of the parts installed that i want lol.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why did they change your plugs?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Launching!

They changed the plugs on my nephews car, not mine. I dont know. They were the wrong plugs and gapped incorrerctly though. He just got it back with the correct plugs, gapped correctly, and it runs great.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't let one persons bad experience sway you. If we all did that then no one would ever go to a doctor because one doctor screwed up once. We'd never go to a restaurant because one person got sick once after eating some food at one. We'd never go to a lawyer because one lawyer..........

Wait a minute, that one might actually be a good thing

Point is that you should still trust performance shops and tuners. Just not that particular performance shop and that particular tuner. Whether it's worth it or not depends on mods. Stock and mild bolt ons would be a waste of money. Too little gain for the $350-500 most places charge for the first dyno tune. But with LT headers the AF ratio will usually get out of whack making a dyno tune worth while.

And for any cam swap it's pretty much a necessity.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Whether it's worth it or not depends on mods. Stock and mild bolt ons would be a waste of money. Too little gain for the $350-500 most places charge for the first dyno tune. But with LT headers the AF ratio will usually get out of whack making a dyno tune worth while.

And for any cam swap it's pretty much a necessity.
Yeah, if you only have bolt-ons or plan on doing more mods not too far down the road, I'd just go with a mail-order tune, from some place like PCM4Less or MadZ28. A dyno tune is just too expensive and not really worth it unless you have a cam or different heads.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

um if your putting longtubes on you need a tune. if its just a cat back and a lid. then there is no need.

what do you plan on doing to it
Old 02-02-2008, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tspence45
Yeah, if you only have bolt-ons or plan on doing more mods not too far down the road, I'd just go with a mail-order tune, from some place like PCM4Less or MadZ28. A dyno tune is just too expensive and not really worth it unless you have a cam or different heads.
I wouldn't say that. LT headers are hit or miss as far as tuning goes. Some guys install them and run pretty good making tuning optional. Others put them on and suddenly find thier A/F ratio far enough out of whack to hurt power and possibly even hurt the motor.

My car was running bad after the LT's and stall went in. I went from trapping 105 to trapping 101

My A/F was at a very dangerous 16:1. After the dyno tune I trapped 109 with a much safer 12:1 A/F. For me it was absolutely necassary and a mail order tune would not have done me much good.

Best thing to do is find a shop that'll only charge the big bucks once for tuning and then charge 100-200 for additional tunes in the future. That way you can tune after headers and again later after heads and cam for a discounted price.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

HPE has a good reputation.. A friend of mine is a tech there.. BUT, IMO I'd still take my car, and I do, to MTI