Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head question.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head question.......

Im a new guy to the LS world. Ive built a couple 400 - 500 hp small blocks from the ground er, block up. Ive owned my truck ('04 5.3L) for a couple years now and want to start making it faster. I know nothing about these LS based motor and what parts are interchangeable blah blah blah.

Im specifically looking for information on heads. I read the sticky on "So you wanna be fast?"

Is the best option to just buy finished after market heads? OR buy original heads and have them reworked?

I did a search and it left my head spinning. Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Answer: purchace ported castings from makers like AFR, Patriot, Trcik Flow, Etc. Costs less, more gains. Flat out eveyone on this site will tell you that.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can take that to the bank, Sharpe has averaged 507 posts a day since 1978
a true nostradomas of the LS-1
Old 02-08-2008, 04:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is Sharpes post count for real??? Like they all said, do heads like Patriot if on a budget and AFRs or All Pro for the best stuff. And they can as you probably know recommend a cam for their heads and your goals. Best headers period are the Kooks with the merge collector. Pretty much a Nascar/drag type header. Very good scavenging. And just search and search on everything you wonder about or think of. I did that for 2 yrs before I ever posted or bought an ls1.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BOONE
Is Sharpes post count for real??? Like they all said, do heads like Patriot if on a budget and AFRs or All Pro for the best stuff. And they can as you probably know recommend a cam for their heads and your goals. Best headers period are the Kooks with the merge collector. Pretty much a Nascar/drag type header. Very good scavenging. And just search and search on everything you wonder about or think of. I did that for 2 yrs before I ever posted or bought an ls1.
Thanks all you guys. Im a avid proponent of the search feature. I kinda figured that an aftermarket head would be the best way to go I just wondered what everyones thoughts were on the stock heads considering how good they are to begin with.

Thanks again............Oh and thats the first recommendation Ive seen on Kooks headers.