Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" rear end questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9" rear end questions

ok, so im a n00b, and i have heard some horror stories about the stock rear ends in these cars. so, where can i get a beefy 9"?
do i need a different driveshaft with a 9" rear end?

thanks guys!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:47 PM
8 Second Club

You have been informed about the 10 bolts and how shitty they are! Thats good. How much power do you plan on putting out? Do you have a A4 (automatic) or a t-56/6-speed (M6)?
Old 02-11-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

A 9" is a great replacement and can be purchased at most of the sponsors on the right. You can also look in the proper forum section down below on the main page for specific info.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

well we (my father and i) currently own an lt1 A4, but i plan on getting an ls1 A4 (i suck at driving stick) im not sure how much power im looking at (always changing my plans) but i know i want a bullet proof rearend and tranny. the tranny is no problem, i can figure out how to beef that up. im just used to my dakota R/Ts 9.25 rearend that i can beat on all day long without ever giving it a second thought. thanks guys!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:08 PM
8 Second Club

If you have an A4, you're gonna want a 12 bolt...for sure.
Moser has really nice stuff, Midwest/Strange is even Nicer and for a better price...

But you're gonna need a Torque Arm Bar, crossmember relocation kit, and yes You'll probably want a Drive shaft in the future. But a 12 bolt is for sure the way to go for an Automatic. And a little heads up, you're also gonna be paying about 2,400-2,800 for the rearend... From a Moser Dealer that is... and then you'll still need the Torque Arm Bar, and the Kit... +400.00 and the Drive shaft +300.00-400.00...

But if you want to get a hold of Eric at Midwest Chassis and Performance, he could get you all that stuff for well under what I just told you.

You'd probably want a True-Trac Diff, with 31 spline axles etc

Do you have a Torque Converter and stall kit yet?
Old 02-11-2008, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1BDTRAM
If you have an A4, you're gonna want a 12 bolt...for sure.
Moser has really nice stuff, Midwest/Strange is even Nicer and for a better price...

But you're gonna need a Torque Arm Bar, crossmember relocation kit, and yes You'll probably want a Drive shaft in the future. But a 12 bolt is for sure the way to go for an Automatic. And a little heads up, you're also gonna be paying about 2,400-2,800 for the rearend... From a Moser Dealer that is... and then you'll still need the Torque Arm Bar, and the Kit... +400.00 and the Drive shaft +300.00-400.00...

But if you want to get a hold of Eric at Midwest Chassis and Performance, he could get you all that stuff for well under what I just told you.

You'd probably want a True-Trac Diff, with 31 spline axles etc

Do you have a Torque Converter and stall kit yet?

i dont have the car yet. im making plans so i know where to go once its in the garage. we havent decided what we are doing with the LT1 yet.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A driveshaft is a must for anyone looking to launch the car hard on sticky tires. A 3.5" aluminum or 3" steel driveshaft would be your options, unless you go with something really expensive but not necessary unless you're making BIG power.

And a better rear is absolutely a must for just about any LS1 Fbody, even stock ones sometimes. A 9-inch or 12-bolt are the most common choices.