Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Rebuild Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rebuild Question

I am trying to rebuild my first engine and I'm in need of some advice. The engine I am rebuilding is a 3.8L on a 96 pontiac firebird and was in need of advice regarding what type of lubricant to use during assembly. After the assembly is complete the engined will not be fired up until after a month. Should I use old to lubricate the engine parts or Engine Assembly Lube??

Thanks in Advance for the Help.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i always use a good assembly lube, the only time i use oil is when i dunk the pistons before putting them in. just be sure to prime the engine before firing.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I used to use Lubri-plate when I rebuilt old VW engines as a younger man. Starting a new engine is very hard on the bearings and bearing races. One time I had finished a rebuild in a Baja bug late the night before hunting season. Test started it and went to bed. Got up early to go hunting and made it almost 5 miles....On just the Lubri plate cause I had neglected to add any engine oil to the motor.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

i always use moly lube when rebuilding an engine
Old 02-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

I rebiuld many types of motors for a living, first things first, allways make sure your parts are clean, use assembly lube for your main and rob bearings, use a 30 wieght oil on your pistons, cam, lifters, and rocker arms....moly lube is good stuff too but the only time i use it is when you have a bolt stretch happin.... If possible prime the motor, if not possibl just unplug yor crank sensor and crank your motor till you see oil press. on your gauge in the car, once you have oil press. just plug your crank sensor back in and your ready to roll... i am not familliar with a 3.8 but be sure to check if you need to buy any new bolts if you have to stretch them, if yo ahve alum heads get new bolts... any other ?s PM me