Sponsored by:

Which Pushrods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Which Pushrods?

I got a set of 243 heads off a GTO
They come with the patriot gold duel springs with titanium retainers.

Heres the question. What size pushrods should I get to go with the Torquer V3 cam?

Can I use the same pushrods with the Torquer V2 Cam?

Is there a big difference between these 2 cams?

I have the opportunity to get some 7.45 pushrods for the cam, but I am thinking those are too long. Anyone confirm?

Will the springs work that come with the heads? They are good to .650 lift from what I read.

Do I need to replace or change my lifters?

Is there a big difference when going to aftermarket lifters?

What head gaskets should I use?

Also, I know that different years have different thicknesses, these heads have never been worked and I bought them with 7500 origional miles. What thickness should I go?

Should I have these heads checked to see if the surface is flat, even tho they have very few miles?
Old 02-23-2008, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sschoeffler
I got a set of 243 heads off a GTO
They come with the patriot gold duel springs with titanium retainers.

Heres the question. What size pushrods should I get to go with the Torquer V3 cam?

TSP recommends 7.400, but I picked up 7.425 as they said those would work fine as well.

Can I use the same pushrods with the Torquer V2 Cam?

Yes.

Is there a big difference between these 2 cams?

Only on the intake side of the lift. .649 for the T3 vs something ~ .598 for the T2. T3 uses a LSK lobe for the intake and XER for the exhaust. On paper, T3 might put down a few more HP and TRQ, it's just a matter of where the torque curve is. I've seen some impressive T2 graphs.

I have the opportunity to get some 7.45 pushrods for the cam, but I am thinking those are too long. Anyone confirm?

I would take a stab and say that's too long, but don't quote me on that.

Will the springs work that come with the heads? They are good to .650 lift from what I read.

Yep, .650 lift will work.

Do I need to replace or change my lifters?

I did. It makes to sense to upgrade while you're in there. LS7 lifters can be had for ~ $100.

Is there a big difference when going to aftermarket lifters?

Maybe in price if you drop some coin on some Morels. I would just stick with the LS7s.

What head gaskets should I use?

Stock GM MLS is what I used. You may get away with a Cometic .040 gasket, but I'm not sure on the PTV with the T3.

Also, I know that different years have different thicknesses, these heads have never been worked and I bought them with 7500 origional miles. What thickness should I go?

See previous. Stock GM I *believe* is .051. Check PTV clearence.

Should I have these heads checked to see if the surface is flat, even tho they have very few miles?

Chances are pretty good that they are flat. You gasket will make up for *slight* imperfections, which there should be virtually none.
Hope this helps you out.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That helps me alot, thanks!