New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need to pick some brains =P

Old 02-24-2008, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to pick some brains =P

whats up guys,im new to the forum but not to lovin hp,well here it goes a dude from where i live has a 6.0 3/4 ton truck and he thinks its the ****,well im swappin in a motor to smoke him in my 98 fullsize tahoe.
i was wondering if anyone knew if the lq4 is a 4 bolt ?im wanting to twin turbo with a steel block also if so can i use ls2 heads and a lingenfelter gt2-3 cam?if not im goin ls1 build up but id perfer an iron block,
all ears and dyin to learn more im shootin for 550+street
Old 02-24-2008, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Welcome to tech. I believe all LS based motors are 6 bolt mains and LS2 heads will bolt on an LQ4.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:24 PM

thats cool anyone know what comp ratio the lq4 with ls2 heads is ?or about how much boost i can run on a stock one before i build it forged?i know im crankin out q's but does anyone make performance iron ls2 heads?
thanks
Old 02-24-2008, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

I think these type of questions are not going to be accurately answered in newbie tech. This is mainly for people buying lids and deciding what exhausts sound good. I could be wrong though.

For what it's worth, I have seen LQ4s run at least 550 rwhp with Forced induction, but I'm not an expert :/
Old 02-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Banned

I'm not sure your fixation with iron, but I think you should start by forgetting about iron. Iron is heavy, and offers no important advantage over aluminum. The iron blocks are stronger, but the block isn't what breaks. And the ignorant belief that you lose power due to flex is BS too. There is a company that casts stock dimension blocks for pro racing, and they make around 1500hp N/A. Their iron and aluminum blocks are identical, with identical builds, yet the aluminum motor makes just 15hp less. That's 1% less, on a motor the same size of your's making some 1200hp more. Then they cam it a little higher, and run it 200rpm farther to make up the difference. You won't make any more hp, at least not enough to tell even on an engine dyno, with an iron block. It's just going to weigh 100lbs more, and slow you down.

Secondly, no one that I'm aware of makes LSX iron heads. And that's for a reason.

Stick with aluminum, there's a reason GM is.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just replace the heads cam and get a tune. If you want to "smoke him" you need to be more concerned about your ET than fabricated horsepower numbers. Call a sponsor and tell them you want a solid 12-second truck. They'll tell you you need to sink a lot of money into getting the power to the ground, not just in making it.

Also consider a ProCharger (supercharger).

Expect to spend several thousand dollars.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
I'm not sure your fixation with iron, but I think you should start by forgetting about iron. Iron is heavy, and offers no important advantage over aluminum. The iron blocks are stronger, but the block isn't what breaks. And the ignorant belief that you lose power due to flex is BS too. There is a company that casts stock dimension blocks for pro racing, and they make around 1500hp N/A. Their iron and aluminum blocks are identical, with identical builds, yet the aluminum motor makes just 15hp less. That's 1% less, on a motor the same size of your's making some 1200hp more. Then they cam it a little higher, and run it 200rpm farther to make up the difference. You won't make any more hp, at least not enough to tell even on an engine dyno, with an iron block. It's just going to weigh 100lbs more, and slow you down.

Secondly, no one that I'm aware of makes LSX iron heads. And that's for a reason
Stick with aluminum, there's a reason GM is.
I went with a cast block because of the price difference. If its going into a Tahoe he probably dosen't care about weight. .02
Old 02-26-2008, 12:19 AM

bingo the price is one factor ,im not worried about makin numbers with it just fast in mud,sand ,and on the road he has a 400hp cammed lq7-9? and runs his mouth all day on a stock trans & suspension.im building a 62 novaII 408 sbc,glide etc 9.90 bracket .I want my truck streetable ,im pickin up a monster motorsports ss mega monster 4l80 up to 650 . its springs in the front and 4 link bagged *** on 36X15.5 mickey t's on weld 14 ,its straight axled with 1 ton running gear but i got the stock vortec 350,so i figured an ls1 or lq4 with a forged 408 kit with a lingenfelter gt2-3 cam twin turboed and tuned with ls2 heads,whats ya think

Last edited by rollinboombox; 02-26-2008 at 01:27 AM.

Search this Thread