New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric cut-outs with stock exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric cut-outs with stock exhaust?

This is my first post here at LS1tech.

I bought a 2002 Z28 A4 (loaded!!) last week, and I'm wondering which mods I should start with first. A buddy at school (Bluebird71 on here) has an SLP Loudmouth 1 for sale which I'm hopefully buying next week. Basically, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and do that, along with a cutout, or if I should keep the stock catback for a while and just put a QTP cutout on it. I'm thinking it would be cool to be stealthy at a stop light, and open fire on ricers haha.

Definitely putting the SLP lid on there too. What's the concensus, experts?

also, I haven't found the body section yet, but we have a body shop, and I want a good looking lip/skirt kit too...any suggestions?
Old 02-27-2008, 01:52 AM
TECH Addict

Either the LM or the cut out will be ok. I guess it's whichever you prefer. I personally have the stock SLP dual/dual exhaust with a cut out but some people prefer a catback. As far as the lid goes SLP is probably the most popular lid for these cars but there are other. Just depends on what you like. If you want the body section you need to scroll down further on the main page.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:25 AM
Teching In

Sorry, I didn't really make my point clear. Basically, I want to know if a cut-out is going to give me about the same or more power than the LM. I mean, obviously the more flow the more go. I don't buy into the whole "you gotta have back pressure" spiel. It'll be after the cats, and therefore after the O2 sensor. I can do all the welding and whatnot, so installation price is not a factor.

found the body section, thanks.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Both would help, full exhaust would be better. LTS O/R Y, Catback, & a Cutout or True Duals to get the best results.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

def +1 for longtubes. hell, just get longtubes, ory, ecutout, and keep the stock catback haha
Old 02-27-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i was running with no cat back at all for about 3 months....
no just ended on the y pipe not too loud on a stock catted car......
i had to say one i put a stock muffler on i could spin out my tires a lil easier think you will loose torque with a cutout but have hp on top end.
but loud enough to scare anyone on a stop....they wont look your way at all...LOL
and LM is loud you wont here a diffence with a cut out if you dont do longtubs wiith no cats
Old 02-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Teching In

yeah. I'm just tryin to get the car together right now. Bought it from the insurance company after the tornado hit a few weeks ago. Nothing major at all, just all the glass (not the windshield), a few dents and scratches here and there, and the right front fender and bumper. Glass is in now, so just to start on the body work and custom paint...

Its black on black, think I'm going with some bright blue metallic stripes, similar to the 'ho.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deff. get some LT's. As far as the loudmouth, I would try to hear one in person first because many people don't like them, but then again many do. The cutout will obviously outflow any catback because it won't have to go through a muffler. And please don't ruin the look of the car with any body skirts. Nice lookin tahoe by the way, I've got a suburban.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AB2fast
This is my first post here at LS1tech.

I bought a 2002 Z28 A4 (loaded!!) last week, and I'm wondering which mods I should start with first. A buddy at school (Bluebird71 on here) has an SLP Loudmouth 1 for sale which I'm hopefully buying next week. Basically, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and do that, along with a cutout, or if I should keep the stock catback for a while and just put a QTP cutout on it. I'm thinking it would be cool to be stealthy at a stop light, and open fire on ricers haha.

Definitely putting the SLP lid on there too. What's the concensus, experts?

also, I haven't found the body section yet, but we have a body shop, and I want a good looking lip/skirt kit too...any suggestions?
Well i have a H/C motor, and i am running a DMH E-cutout with the stock catback behind it. It was a little louder than stock when closed, and insane when open. Best of both worlds IMO, i owned the Loudmouth before i did all the mods, and well the sounds are different. Even @ idle because of the cam it sounds like a cup car. (BTW It's funny that ricers will come up to you and talk **** when they think your car is stock, then when the cutout is opened they pull out the ricer excuses... )

If this is your First mod, then just go for the Loudmouth. It'll keep ya happy for a bit, and you can always sell it. Thats what i did..
Old 03-02-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

pacesetters, y and cut out in my opinion...or go duals. cut out is nice for the "best of both worlds" factor.